Suzuki DT140 overcharging, blows fuse everytime???

jonathon7

Recruit
My 1988, DT140 seems to be overcharging. The voltage gauge is running around 15V at any mid range rpm. Then it blows the 25A fuse (one of 2) that is in the CDI enclosure area, next to the CDI unit. When this same fuse blows, all the gauges stop working. The engine will continue to run, but if you cut it off it will not restart. If you replace the fuse it will start up and then blow the fuse again a few minutes later. Any ideas??? Thanks Jon.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: jonathion7 to iboats. Great having you aboard...

First you need to check the rectifier and make sure that is good. Next check the voltage regulator as well. Because 15 volts, if that is a verifiable true reading, is too high. I think if you get those things fixed, your fuse blowing will stop. Unless there is something drawing a lot of current that you haven't locate. 25 amps is a lot of current. So you could remove all the wires off the battery except the engine wires themselves and see if it still blows fuses after you fix the rectifier and regulator. If it still blows fuses, you have some other engine problems. If not, then you have something else drawing tons of current taking out the fuses. Add one circuit at a time until you find the culprit... JMHO!

jonathon7

Recruit
I purchased a used rectifier and voltage regulator/rectifier to test the voltage problem. I was told it was in working condition. Not sure if they are? I installed them and same problem, blowing the one 25A fuse. This fuse is the one that has a white with red stripped wire on both ends. It goes to the down side of the tilt/trim relay on one end of the wire and to the ignition switch (ON and START part of switch) on the other. The tilt works fine until the fuse blows. The other 25A fuse that is next to the one that blows never has blown. That fuse is the one that actually goes to the voltage/rectifier and rectifier (white wire). Do you know what the max. voltage needs to be at a fairly high rpm? It seems that the thing never ran above 13 volts or so before. Any new ideas???