2004 Yamaha 150 2-stroke limp mode?

Blue73

Recruit
I have a 2004 Yamaha 150 2 stroke on a Kencraft Challenger 206 center console. On a fishing trip this morning it ran normally to the first fishing spot of the day. I turned the engine off and fished for about an hour and a half. It started as normal when I was ready to leave but when I tried to plane off I could not get much over 2000 RPM and limped 6-7 miles back to the dock at idle speed to try to prevent any damage if this is a serious issue.
Once safely back at the dock and on the trailer I found that the boat would easily rev over 2000 RPM in neutral, but when in gear I could not get much over 2000 RPM.
I trailered back home and removed the fuel water seperator to check for water or trash. The fuel was clean and water free. I did find a loose clamp on the fuel line where it enters the engine. I have ran the boat every day this week and the only things that have been different is that I have been in shallower water where it could suck up trash from the bottom (it's scallop season) and yesterday when returning home I noticed a very faint sound like someone blowing into a bottle, but I just assumed it was coming from the rod holders on the T-top.
The impeller was done in the fall of last year. My gut tells me to check compression, but I didn't bring my gauge with me on vacation. Where should I start?

N1NE1

Petty Officer 1st Class
make sure your oil tank on the side of engine is staying full, if it isnt then you probably have a clogged oil filter on oil tank