Impeller went out on 25 HP 2 Stroke Yamaha

Sirtubblord

Recruit
Good Afternoon Everyone. I bought a boat last night with a 25hp 2 stroke outboard. We started the motor very briefly and it started right up. I know I should have hooked the water up to it and ran it but I made a poor decision and bought the boat. I took it directly to the lake and it started right up. I took off just fine and got right up on plane and then my wife asked me a couple questions while we were cruising along. I looked back at the motor and smoke was coming out of the water spout. I shut it down and took the cowling off and it was pretty smoky and really hot. I let it sit for a few minutes and it started right back up, but shut it down right away. We finally got back to the dock paddling and occasionally starting the motor to push us in the right direction. Got it home and took the (or what was left of the) impeller out. It was totally apart and the plate it sits on is discolored from burning. The motor will still start right up but I can't run it until I get the impeller back in next week when it arrives. My big question is this; If it still runs did I likely not damage the motor? I'm really hoping I caught it in time but a little advice from someone with experience would be awesome!
Thanks!

gm280

Supreme Mariner
:welcome: Sirtubblord to iboats.

Seems you knew better but thought it really wouldn't matter and started it up. :doh: Who really knows what real damage you've done because it seems to still crank and run. But I would bet you've taken life off of it for certain! How much life span, who really knows. I suggest you never ever try that again. :nono: And I would replace the entire water pump assembly and not just the impellor. If you could only see a totally dry rubber impellor spinning around against a totally dry housing, you can imagine the friction it made to destroy itself... :faint:

I think lesson has been learned...

Sirtubblord

Recruit
Yeah, unfortunately you've hit the nail squarely on the head. I did know better but did it anyway and I seriously regret it. Heck, as soon as i noticed it wasn't spitting I should have shut it down completely. I did only run it for maybe a couple minutes but I'm sure that could be enough. The housing is melted so I will absolutely replace the whole shebang. I'm picking up that part of it tonight but the little water grommet is harder to find and will be here next week so I just have to wait and see what kind of damage I (or the guy who had it before me) did. The impeller was in little pieces.

Sirtubblord

Recruit
Here's a question that I've come up with. Is it possible that exhaust was coming up through the water system and coming out the **** hole since there was no water?

99yam40

Fleet Admiral
only is it blew a gasket, cracked the head, or there is a hole where it should not be a hole