86 Yamaha 150 - issue disassembling carbs for clean/rebuild

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
I am unable to remove brass bypass screws on top of carb. Concerned too much torque w/screwdriver will damage groove in soft brass. All tips and suggestions appreciated.

robert graham

Admiral
Maybe soak the carb overnight in a solvent like Berryman's B-12....might loosen some stuck screws/jets/etc.....

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I agree with robert above as well. Also you can try a little heat with a heat gun or hair dryer and see if it works loose. Try to tighten it also and then loosen it. Some time that helps. If you get a perfectly fitting screwdriver that seriously fits that jet, it will apply a lot more torque without messing up anything... JMHO!

tinbeater

Recruit
Try tapping slightly on the end of the screw driver while turning it always seems to work for me.

rickclark

Seaman Apprentice
It's all about the right tools and equip. Moved from dining room table (recovering from back surgery) to the shop. Carb in vice and correct size long-handle , wide-blade screwdriver, and it took not a lot of effort to remove screws. Makes me feel foolish I asked for help. Thanks, guys.

erniefish

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I always hit a large screw driver with a big hammer, they will come loose , scary but it works , good luck

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
The right tool is an amazing thing.
For years I fought with drain plugs that someone's screwed up.
I have a 10-11" 5/16 or 3/8 headed screw driver.
I haven't had a problem since.
I got it at Home Depot.

Propwash79

Cadet
A little tip,if you have a soldering iron you use that to keep the heat local and that helps a lot.