DP-S Shift Cable Throttle/Shift Coordination

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had the shift cable replaced on my DP-S outdrive #4012069514. It shifts into forward OK, but now there is a significant gap in shift lever movement between idle and increasing throttle. It's on the order of 30 degrees of shift lever movement before throttle increase, but I haven't measured it exactly. At the very start of that 30 degree of movement, it feels like there is a "gate" the cable is going over before throttle increase. What kind of adjustments can be made to get shifting and throttle in better coordination?

The shop that performed the work is 200 miles away, so I can't easily take it back to them. And I'm not sure I want to. The tech doing the work failed to secure the wires to the drive trim switch when he put the shifter back together. I just happened to see the wires through an opening at the base of the shifter and the insulation on one had been chafed through by the shift handle. When I secured the wires, I could see laying on the floor the wire-tie that the tech cut when he was replacing the shift cable. Makes me wonder what other sloppy work surprises await.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The amount of movement on the handle before engaging the throttle should be the same going forward and astern.
Take look into your Carb/TBI and make sure that at full throttle the butterflies are fully open. If they are then I would not be too worried.