5.0gi duo prop no water flow

riverboy460

Seaman Apprentice
Can anyone point me in the direction. I need to go. I tried removing my outdrive today but it's frozen on there. Can't get it to budge. I replaced my engine and put both brand new water pumps on. I can o ly get rhe raw water one to pump water if I remove the inlet from the front of the cooler on back of engine and use a garden hose in the line.

If I can figure this out all I have to do is fix a few small other issues. Like tach doesn't work and trim gauge is stuck at up even when. Down all the way
I tried backing it into the launch ramp today with no luck there either. It flowed for a little bit but I think that was just spitting out the rest of the water that was in it fro. The hose test yeaterday.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
What engine /outdrive have you got? How did you replace the engine without removing the drive?

riverboy460

Seaman Apprentice
I have a 2001 seaswirl striper 2600 walkaround it has the 5.0gi volvo penta engine with a duo prop sm drive. It has a new water pump on engine and a new raw water pump.

It was super easy to replace engine with outdrive still on. I un bolted the 4 main bolts up front for motor mounts and removed the 2 nuts on the bellhousing. Lifted it a few milimeters then slide it forward a few inches and lifted it right out. To reinstall I lowered it down to where it was almost touching the stingers and slide it back in. I had to just turn the spline in the drive shaft to line up the splines and it slide right on as I pushed it backwards. I tried to remove the drive 1st but it was frozen on the transom assembly. So removed engine instead. Was told buy the place I bought the engine that the drive dose not need to come off.

I wanted it off to check condition of gimbal bearing and everything before I put engine back in. This is my first volvo penta set up only owned a mercruiser before and I always removed the drive to align check etc. So I wanted to do the same with the volvo.

I am assuming I have a water pick up issue I the drive or even salt build up in the intake port by the oring. I assume this cause the boat sat for a few yrs after being towed back in. Previous owner blew the engine.

I tried to back flush the drive from the hose I removed behind the cooler on starboard side of the back of the engine. And what I saw was a few drips of water coming out the transom plate on the water hose and the pressure was just building up not flowing out the bottom of the drive like it should.

Where dose the raw water come out on the duo props. All I can tell is the bottom of the transom plate it was dumping water there when I used a garden hose in front of the cooler clamped in and baot running.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
One thing to make sure of is the inlet hose to the raw water pump connects to the top fitting and the lower one goes to the thermostat housing, a common mistake.

Water outlets on the SX-M & DP-SM are through the prop/s above and behind the anode on the transom shield and the exhaust opening on the cavitation plate.

Reason I asked about engine removal is that many boats do not have enough room to slide forward.
You will need to get the drive off to replace the drive bellows, check alignment (especially after removal & replacement of the engine) and grease the gimbal and "U" joints. Several posts on here about difficult to remove drives and solutions, try the search at the top of the page.