1995 Volvo Penta SX Cobra outdrive oil question/help

ron3033

Seaman
I have a 1995 Four Winns 200 Horizon with a 5 litre 302 ford, carbureted, Volvo Penta SX cobra outdrive. I always used Bombardier Johnson/evinrude HPF gearcase oil.... no longer available. So I was going to use Mobil 1 full syn 75/90 API GL5 gear lube. Some people say yes, others said no because it may be a cone clutch and Mobil 1 has Limited Slip additives? I am lost... I have 44 ounces of the Bombardier Johnson/evinrude HPF left, but leaves me about 27 ounces short... so I could drain some out and use what I have.
1. Is this a cone clutch or dog clutch??? some say yes, some no see pics attached
2. If a cone clutch Mobil 1 is a no because of the LS additives
3. What gear oil can be used? ( I know it must be full syn meeting API GL 5 standards) (what about the limited slip?)

Thanks
ron3033

Attachments

• photo176635.jpg
    photo176635.jpg
    142.2 KB · Views: 1
  • photo176636.jpg
    photo176636.jpg
    141 KB · Views: 3
  • photo176637.jpg
    photo176637.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 3

muc

"Retired" Association of Marine Technicians...
It's a cone clutch. It's a Volvo. I have seen many different lubes used in that drive ---- usually without any problems. But I have seen a few problems that were corrected by using Volvo gearlube or rebuilding the drive. It's a Volvo, maybe use Volvo gearlube?

ron3033

Seaman
Thanks Muc Unfortunately the last time I got gear oil from the dealer where I bought the boat new, they sold me what I used the HPF by Bombardier/Johnson... they don't even sell Volvo lube (at that time) And I believe the new Four Winns have Merc outdrives.
What make it a cone clutch? Curious and from endless looking I think it is a SX-M outdrive... can you tell?
Thank for your help
ron3033

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Cone clutch, avoid LS. You can use either Volvo's synthetic gear lube,[FONT=&quot] SAE Mobilube 1SHC Synthetic or any SAE 75W-90 Synthetic gear oil that is NOT designed for LS. I've heard lots of people using LS gear lube however I seem to recall reading somewhere that Volvo specifically says not to.....I tend to try and follow the guidance of those pesky engineers when I can.....

I can't find the non LS mobilube where I live in stores but it can be ordered. I've had no problem finding Volvo's lube or another non LS outdrive specific synthetic lube at local boat supply places.
[/FONT]

You can look for the metal plate with your serial and model stamped on the port side of the outdrive - that will tell you specifically what type of outdrive you have.

http://www.volvopentastore.com/Engi...unc.volvo--session_id.416850732--store_id.366

Last edited:

ron3033

Seaman
Thank You Augoose

The hot link to Volvo store does not open for me as I live in Canada, weird isn't it. Amazon, Ebay not a problem. guess I will call Monday. Boat still seeing no use this summer t date. What is the name & part # of the Volvo oil??
thank you
ron3033

Augoose

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I'd go with the Volvo stuff personally - and yes, the Amazon link was for the correct outdrive oil.
Volvo's stuff is pricey because it has the word "Marine" printed on it and two, they know people will pay it.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Amsoil synthetic marine gear lube is also a favorite for many people. It is not LS and can be easily ordered from Amsoil's website. I did that a few years, but have recently switched back to Volvo gear lube mostly do to Muc's experience.

And yes, the SX drives are all cone clutches.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Your SX drive is a cone clutch. Its just a matter of fact, theres no real way to tell other than the fact All SX drives ever made are cone clutches.

About the only alternatives to Volvo's 75w90 are the above mentioned Amsoil or Mobil 1 Delvac Synthetic 75w90.

The Delvac does not contain the Limited Slip additives like the other Mobil1 Gear Lube and is a great Syn HD lube. Mobil has stated that the Delvac 75w90 would be the successor to the Mobil Lube SHC 75w90 listed in the Volvo manuals.

You can purchase it here in a 12 quart case:
http://thelubricantstore.com/gear-lu...5w90-12x1.html
Its about $10.00 total shipped per quart.

Or a 4x1 Gallon case (16 quarts):
http://thelubricantstore.com/mobil-d...90-4x1gal.html
About $9.50 total shipped per quart.

Last edited:

Sparkinator

Chief Petty Officer
I buy the Volvo gear lube from Iboats. I was running the wrong oil that was cheaper and changing it every year. Now I run the Volvo oil, and change it every other year. Cheap insurance compared to rebuilding a drive.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I have switched to the Volvo oil after using the Mobil 1 for many years and now not finding it with out the LS additive.

The Volvo oil where I buy it is $72/gallon. When I was buying Mobil 1, it was around $16/qt which works out to be $64/gallon so not a huge amount more.