volvo penta aq170b no spark with new coil ?

sprogg&fin

Seaman
trying to get this boat up and running and need some help to try and pin point this problem , thought it was a bad coil so I went out and bought a new coil and same problem no spark any help is greatly appreciated .

alldodge

Staff member
sprogg&fin;n9992196 said:
trying to get this boat up and running and need some help to try and pin point this problem , thought it was a bad coil so I went out and bought a new coil and same problem no spark any help is greatly appreciated .

Below is the AQ140 wiring diagram
VP Aq140 120.jpg

Which is a basic point type distributor ignition setup. Check for 12V at the coil when the engine is cranking.
Here is the typical point system which is easier to see
Points ignition diagram.gif

Key is turned to start and 12V goes direct to the coil, when released it goes thru a resistor.
Check your point gap and see what it is.
Pull the ocil wire and see if you can get a spark from it when cranking

sprogg&fin

Seaman
where might I find the ignition module? , does not show in specs , thank you for the reply will work on it tomorrow and test it .

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
"where might I find the ignition module?" At the end of the wire that goes to the distributer from the coil, if you have an ignition module that is.

sprogg&fin

Seaman
ok so if I have a points system then I would not have a module then , just points and condenser. cap and rotor look good so how do I check the condenser?

sprogg&fin

Seaman
thank you was reading that this morning and see where it takes me , will update when done.

sprogg&fin

Seaman
on my coil I have 1 green wire on the + side and a grey wire and a green wire going to the distributor , things are not adding up with the wiring on the schematics, ??

alldodge

Staff member
You probably need to leave the colors out of the process. The link I sent you to for points ignition is for a Mercruiser but the method of checking is the same

sprogg&fin

Seaman
another question is I have 2 different boxes which holds multiple wires each , 1 looks like a starter relay or solenoid and the other I am sure of , my manual doesn't show the relay/solenoid looking box with 5 posts bout only the 4 are used and the other is a rectangular box with 5 wires which my manual looks to be a charging regulator then has a small 2 wire box attached by 2 wires ? . I have volts to coil and distributor in start position , changed condenser as well , still no spark. will continue to trace and test Thank you again for your help

alldodge

Staff member
If you could post some pics, this could help at what your looking at. Either upload or use something like photobucket

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
If you replaced the coil??? Then replace both points and cond.
You can file and grind and possibly use the old points but get a new cond.

So no switch boxes or power packs.

Last edited:

sprogg&fin

Seaman
got it running , thanks so much for the help , did a continuity test and cleaned the point in the distributor and she fired up , now time for a tune up . Thanks again for the hepl