Aq131a overheating and leaking coolant

Jbeebe85

Cadet
Last time I had my 86 bayliner Capri out it got extremely hot so I shut it down aND got towed back to cove. Let it cool and then overheated again while headed back to dock. Got pulled back to dock. Have looked at impeller and it appears to not be the cause. Today I went to fill with coolant as it looked dry and as fast as I could fill it the coolant ran out of what appears to be a copper fitting on starboard site bottom of motor to the left of the oil filter Looks like a hose would attach there but no hose around . I tried to attach a picture but kept getting error. Can any one help me get her back on the water not overheating ??

axisg

Seaman Apprentice
If its appx 1.5" round and recessed in the block it's likely a frost plug popped out. The coolant only travels between the heat expansion tank and the motor via the lower rad hose and the upper thermostat housing .
The copper line you mention ( which runs under the exhaust manifold ) is the return line for the Fresh Water side of the expansion tank. There should be no coolant coming out of there only fresh water with the engine running.

Just in case you are unaware.
-The copper line on the Port Side draws fresh water up from the very bottom of the leg in the water ( this copper line runs from the back of the motor, under the carb to the impeller )
-From the impeller it pushes the fresh water thru the heat exchanger tank in the second copper line ( between the distributor and the back of the heat exchanger )
-From the Starboard side of the heat exchanger it exits thru the copper line to the back of the exhaust manifold
-From there the fresh water is deposited into the exhaust and pushed out

There is a drain plug on the manifold as well but it should not contain any coolant. However with the engine running you can open it to verify the impeller pump is working.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
On the starboard side of the engine there is a part that Volvo describes as a shut off ****. It looks like a hose should attach to it.... It sounds like it may simply need to be tightened.

Fishermark

Vice Admiral
It is part #10 in the diagram below:

9568_4.png

Jbeebe85

Cadet
No Title

Thats exactly it.... why would all coolant flow right out of here when I try to fill it up. It just needs to be really tight? There is no plug to block the hole?

Attachments

• photo237335.jpg
    photo237335.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 0

Jbeebe85

Cadet
I took boat to shop to winterize last winter is this something they would loose to drain and flush and they just forgot to tighten back?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
I've seen to many shops leave the drains open for the winter. Come spring, they come to our marina, with either a boat that almost sunk or they find the water coming in by luck alone. Yeah some shops forget to close them, others leave them open, expecting the owners to close them, or tell them to bring it back in the spring for summarizing.

Jbeebe85

Cadet
I'm pretty sure it is just a hollow piece that won't close off when tightened. I'm thinking maybe they put that there instead of plug to drain and didn't put plug back?

Bondo

Staff member
I'm pretty sure it is just a hollow piece that won't close off when tightened. I'm thinking maybe they put that there instead of plug to drain and didn't put plug back?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... If it's a hose barb, maybe it needs a hose to go to another hose barb,....

I don't do Volvo, so I'm guessin',...

Maybe a hose barb on the purge tank,..??

Or,.... Turn it out, 'n head to yer local hardware store, 'n buy a brass pipe plug in that size, screw It into the hole, 'n fill 'er up,...

Jbeebe85

Cadet
Found my answer. This drain tap is suppose to have bearing in it and when tightened closes off. Mine has no ball inside my guess is shop winterizing lost ball and stuck it back on without. Which in turn leaked all my coolant out causing motor to overheat. I'm gonna be real pissed if over heat caused any perminant damage to motor.