My boat won't turn off key off clip pulled 5.0 gl starter/ignition/ground problem?

wessels

Recruit
at the end of the day as I was pulling in to the dock the alarm started sounding and the boat was not running. I started the boat and the alarm went off. Im assuming now that its because the boat thinks the key is on like a short and its just the oil sensor beeping like it should. How would I manipulate the 4 wires on the key ignition (yellow with red stripe, purple, red, red) to turn the boat off? It seems like the 2 reds should be NO or NC. I noticed today that the purple thats connected to the starter is not a perfect connection. Would the purple being loose cause the engine to continue running?

wessels

Recruit
My boat died and wouldnt start because it wasnt getting power from the j2 terminal. I pulled the alternator off and tried to get it tested and ended up putting it back on and the problem went away. I went ahead and purchased a new alternator and its on my counter. I did think it might just be a loose connection but it looked like the original alternator from 2000 So I will change it. I ran the boat fine 3 times after i put the old alternator back on so I'm certain it's wired correctly. What are you thinking?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am thinking you mis-wired the alternator. The wire that is hot with the ignition on is probably on a wrong terminal. Recheck your wiring.

So what color wire is on the L2 terminal and what is on the S and EXC terminals?

Last edited:

wessels

Recruit
L2 is green, S is Orange,EXC is dark purple. I took the boat out 3 times with multiple starts and stops. It seems like it would have failed at least intermittently before now if I had wired it wrong.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If S is orange, what do you have on the B terminal which is the alternator output?

Can you take a picture?

wessels

Recruit
I got in there and took the terminals off on the starter. recrimped the purple and tapped on the solenoid and my boat is fine now. I found another thread today either on here or somewhere else online where someone was having the same problem after they just purchased a boat and the purple wire wasn't connected at all. I'm guessing the purple is involved in cutting the motor off or I still need a starter. I don't like fixing things on accident

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Out of curiosity, what is your full model number?

If the purple wire that is at your starter solenoid is the same one that connects to your alternator, that could easily be your issue if the starter solenoid was sticking. I have a diagram from a LK manual and it does show the purple wire at the alternator go to the starter solenoid. It is the same one that goes to your ignition and helps reduce voltage drops while cranking the engine.