2005 volvo penta 3.0gl starting issues

11scottjt

Recruit
Need a little help with a starting issue. Have the above described motor on a 05 stingray 180rx. It will start and only stay started if I keep the key on the starting point. But if I release the key to leave it in the on position then the boat dies. I was on the water when this happened and I hot wired a wire from the positive terminal on the battery to the "on" wire on the starter celonoid. This allowed me to drive back to the ramp and trailer the boat for the day. The starter is clearly getting power but it isn't transferring a constant power to the ignition coil to keep the boat running. Is this the key switch going out or that starter celonoid?

Following Closely. I just had the exact same problem with my 2000 4.3GL on the 4th. Mine was still on the trailer at the boat landing. Same exact problem. I recently had a similar problem on a ford 351 Cleveland in my Galaxie and it ended up being the pick up coil in the distributor. We checked everything including the ignition module and coil. It was just as cheap to replace the distributor, so we did that and it runs fine. I.m wondering if it could be the same thing on our Volvos? Any Suggestions?

Last edited:

11scottjt

Recruit
Not sure but I used a volt meter at the switch and that is out of the question for my problem. But I checked everything on the motor and the terminal on the solenoid that puts constant power to the coil isn't getting but 1.03volts which means its trying but there isn't enough juice. More than likely the solenoid gone bad and I will replace but to get me through the season without buying a new starter I plan to run a wire off the key switch terminal "where it would be having power turned on" and run that directly to the coil. Problem solved without replacing something expensive and it will still look more original than wiring a cut off switch/ riggin. Plus I may buy that coil and it be faulty wiring somewhere and auto places don't like to take back electronics.......

11scottjt

Recruit
If its just like my problem then it wouldn't be the distributor because mine will stay running while key is in cranking/starting mode. Its just not getting power to the coil when the key turns back to the run position.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Key in the cranking position supplies power to the ignition but once started the alternator takes over.