stalling....wait and see?

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Little frustrated here.

Little back story, used the boat all last year, it had this issue where (ive opened a thread about this i believe) it would run all day long at 3/4 throttle. Open her up wide, it would bog down and stall. I replaced plugs, wires, cap rotor and fuel filter/pump.

Its a volvo penta 3.0 GS. they have a fuel pump/filter all in one unit, replaced the whole thing. Still the issue persisted.

So i stored it for the winter at a boat yard, explained the issue and the were pretty certain it was the carb, it needed a rebuild which is $350, not cheap. The explain how bad ethenol is and that these 2 barrel carbs have to be rebuilt almost every year, he also told me not to let it sit much, so fire it up every week weather i take it out or not, no problem good tip.

Tomorrow me and the women want to go out for the first time this year, tonight, exactly 1 week after getting her back from the boat yard, after the carb rebuild i fire it up to make sure all is well.

At first it is, its idling in the driveway, no issue, then for no reason it stalls, has plenty of fuel and oil, new oil change too. So i fire it back up and it wants to stall immediately, giving it more throttle seems to only make it wanna stall more. after a few times of this i did get it to fire up and run a bit, but it just felt like it wanted to stall. Its about 8:45 pm, its the sun is pretty much gone and its a chilly night, could this be the issue? Im gonna splash her tomorrow either way and maybe running her a bit open (if it will even let me) will do the trick.

Just based on what i have said, what do you guys think? I don't know what else it could be if its not the carb, but either way its 1 step forward 2 steps back, last year it never stalled out int he driveway when idling, this is new.

Oh the shop said they "ran it up" as they say. If it were stalling there I assume they would have told me and asked if I wanted it fixed. Just like when they called and said my horn and float switch wasn't working.....

Thanks in advanced.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sounding to me like a fuel feed issue.

Had an odd set of similar symptoms with a mower that turned out to be a stick in the fuel line. Any chance something got in the tank and is interfering with the fuel pickup? All it would take is a piece of a leaf.

thedinz

Petty Officer 3rd Class
everyone is saying anti siphone vales, issue is its stunday and i want to take her out today, what r my options? Can i remove the valve and go without it for the day? Whats the process on removing it, its a fuel tank so im always caution around flammable stuff...

mr 88

Commander
Do you have points ,if so I would put in new ones and the condensor as well. Then I would check the dwell and timing after gaping the points.