Overheating issues. symptoms, and proposed solution. please advise.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
2005 chap with Volvo Penta GXi 5.0L engine.

The last outing we had, after a good while of no wake speed, i noticed my temp gauge creeping up to the 250 point. it never got that high, but it was hovering just below. I pulled up to the gas dock, and popped the cover, nothing seemed amiss, and there wasnt even a lot of heat coming off the engine, i could touch most exposed metal areas, and they were warm, but not as hot as i would have expected. I also checked for obstructions on the water intake on the lower unit and it was clean. I let it cool, and headed back in. In the no wake area it was warm, but the temp drops back to normal range once i got on plane. it went right back up, idling to the dock to load out.

the impeller is on its second year, and looked good when i checked it at the first of this season. I did notice some rusty (mayby muddy?) water coming out of it when i stopped to check the overheat issue. but replacing the seal should fix that right?

Ive been having a belt squeaking sound on the last couple of outings, and since the belt is new, i suspected it to be a bearing in a pulley, so i replaced the basic pulley, but the squeak didnt go away. After more investigating, i noticed a little play in the bearings of the circulation pump. I shot some silicone spray in there, just to make sure it wasnt dry.

somehow the square hole in the tensioner arm busted, and i suspect that it is the squeak issue as well so here is the order list so far

new impeller kit
new circulation pump
new tensioner arm assembly.

now, if you have made it this far, thank you. here is what i need help with.

what would my symptoms of overheating point too? should the list of stuff i am replacing repair this issue?
ive done the impeller before, and the tensioner seems pretty strait forward, but is there anything i should know about the circulation pump replacement?

use the paper gaskets it comes with or high temp RTV? both?

Thanks in advance for the knowledge!

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
While you are at it, I would replace the thermostat also. I have always found them to be full of rust and that's a cheap thing to replace. Dave-R

Thalasso

Commander
The squeak, is probably caused from just a little rust on the pulley. Wire brush it clean and paint
My guess would be your sucking air somewhere and it losses water flow at no wake speed
Buy yourself a IR gun at Harbor Frieght and you can check exterior temps at the thermostat housing

Last edited:

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
This might just be overkill, but on my older engine at 400hrs the seal on the raw water pump went and it started dripping then overheating as it was pulling air through the seal at low revs (OK at higher revs). The salt water took its toll and got into the bearing and made it seize up, the outer of the bearing then started to rotate in the brass housing and SQUEAL. Just in case there are several "youtube" videos on how to replace the seal and bearing for about $50 instead of the $400 for the VP new pump.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
This might just be overkill, but on my older engine at 400hrs the seal on the raw water pump went and it started dripping then overheating as it was pulling air through the seal at low revs (OK at higher revs). The salt water took its toll and got into the bearing and made it seize up, the outer of the bearing then started to rotate in the brass housing and SQUEAL. Just in case there are several "youtube" videos on how to replace the seal and bearing for about $50 instead of the $400 for the VP new pump.

well, i owe you a beer. you nailed it. at least preliminary. I got all the other stuff done, and while i was replacing the impeller, i noticed the raw water pump housing would not spin. i pulled the pulley off, and it was seized up. Salt water is a PITA! I dont know if this was the squeal, but it probably was the overheat issue (i hope!)

got the bearing spinning again, and its soaking in some silicone lube. I ordered the repair kit, and ill swing by HF to pick up a puller and snap ring pliers.

thanks to everyone who commented. I think i about have this one whooped!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
I did manage to see the salt water in your last post.
They used to have your location in there somewhere.
Then they made the site "better" and we lost a lot of things.

OK now the salt.
The manifolds and riser used to last 15-20 years.
Now almost everything is chineese and reallllly crappy.
I'd look into them as the salt realllly eats them up.
I bought new springs for my trailer.The original lasted 15+ years in salt water.
These lasted 22mo. before I had to replace.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
it just got new risers and mani's right before i bought her at the end of the season before last. so almost 2 years on the mani's but we dont go out often.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
OK so i got the bearing housing off the shaft, now i have to get the bearing out of the housing. The C clip was giving me hell, but i soaked it in lube overnight, so ill try again. if nothing else, ill cut the clip. the kit came with a new one.

beason

Petty Officer 1st Class
all done! pounding the bearing out was a bit of a pain, but i got it. cleaned up the housing, pressed it all back together, and ready to install!