What outdrives will bolt up to a VP 240A?

kenttaylor

Recruit
I have a 1978 Chaparrel with a Volvo Penta 240 A V8 engine and a 280 outdrive. The boat, engine and outdrive are all in great shape. However, I'd like to modernize the outdrive. What (if any) newer outdrives will bolt up to my VP 240 A?

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Are you unhappy about something with this drive? Missing powertrim I guess/parts availability. You can't switch to anything, without replacing the transom. If you find a 290/SP/DP drive, you can use the bellhousing your engine has today, but you will have to find another exhaust Y pipe, and convert to coarse splines on the U joint + various bits and pieces. If you want an SX drive, you will have to replace anything aft of the engine. But parts exists, since the SX drive once was connected to a Ford engine.

kenttaylor

Recruit
Its not that I'm unhappy with anything it's more that I worry about things breaking and the resulting parts and service availability. The trim/tilt mechanism worries me; it is a small electric motor at the back of the engine compartment with a little black box containing a few relays, all powering a shaft that does the tilt. I've already had to replace relays a couple of times, which isn't a big problem, but the whole design seems weak. I see these newer model outdrives with a couple of hydraulic cylinders from the transom to the outdrive - that looks like a good, solid, reliable design to me.
What got me thinking about this is, I see a lot of really cheap boats on the internet (Ebay, usually a Boat Angel unit), boats that someone has freeze damage to the motor or seized the motor up or just let the boat sit outside for years and rot away to nothing and I would assume the outdrives are still OK. Most of these are much newer models than mine. I just figured this would be an inexpensive way to begin the process of modernizing my boat.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Well Power Trim can have its issues also. Not saying it is not better but it does ad more to the potential problem list.
You can certainly up grade that way but for almost everything you will need to fill the transom hole and re make the hole to fit what your doing.

jeffnick

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I had the same worry when I bought a 40+ year old V8 boat with a 250 Aquamatic outdrive. I kept an eye on eBay and picked up a 250 spare for $80 but it was for a 4 cyl. Everything on the 4 cyl except the lower third is compatible with my current setup. Then I found a complete 280 drive for $100 which was for a V8. Now I have complete spares but have no incentive to use them as my old 250 is doing just fine.
IMAG1319.jpg