HELP! Volvo Penta 4.3L and SX question

RegalPilot

Recruit
OK guys I need to settle something...

I just got another 2004 Volvo Penta 4.3L GL equipped boat. In all my boats in the past, when I run/flush my engine in my driveway with the infamous "rabbit ears" and a hose the water flows OUT of the system thru the center of the hub of my propeller (the exhaust)...

In this current boat however, the water is gushing out of what it looks like the "transom" part in the back of the boat, suggesting a raptured/broken bellow ( I'm familiar with this as I have had to replace the exhaust bellow in one of my boats with the exact same 4.3L engine in the past) but as I remember when I had the 'broken' bellow the water was "not as much" in gushing out as it seems like I have in this current boat (maybe I'm wrong but at least it I don't remember it this way) further more I have inspected the bellows as well as I could and they seem to be fine- no tears, only the 2 little drain holes at each end...

Now, I called and have talked to my boat mechanic and another different mechanics and they BOTH said that this is quite "normal" in this boats/engine and not to worry; but honestly I'm just not buying it..! !

can somebody please shine some light in this and tell me what could be wrong, if anything??

just as additional info: when I run/flush the engine, the stern is as low as I can get it without hitting the floor; so it's down but not all the way- I'd say 4/5th of the way maybe..

Also, this engine does have a "blue" engine flush hose where I attach the hose to apparently flush the engine. Can I safely use this "flush port" instead of the 'rabbit ears??

As always I appreciate all your help, comments and suggestions.

js

nitwhit

Seaman
Your mechanics are right. Almost all of the water will exit out of the transom relief ports while on the muffs as that is the path of least resistance while out of the water. Can't answer your question on the flush attachment though as mine is a little older and does not have one so muffs only for me. You can look up an owners manual on Volvo's website using your full engine model # for more info though.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
There ya go sea foam in action...notice the two different exhaust ports one in the hub and one in the lower transom plate..

Picture064-1.jpg