1998 5.7 L Volvo Penta SX C1 transom seal leak

Sinbad 39

Cadet
OK people...I need more help...I am resurrecting a 1998 Regal Destiny 200 that hung from a boat lift for 13 years since the owner died...only a little over 200 hours on it...I have replaced all the obvious...all rubber... new starter...rebuilt carb...new impeller...runs in a tank like a brand new motor...Finally put in water for first sea trial today...Steady leak around transom at out drive housing...Is there any way to tighten/repair this without pulling the engine...Can only seem to reach 2 bolts...Was Volvo that unfriendly to mechanics?? Any advice would be welcome...Thanks

nitwhit

Seaman
Hopefully it's not a rotten transom flexing and leaking. Did you pull the drive and inspect/replace the bellows?

Bondo

Staff member
that hung from a boat lift for 13 years

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,..... Those bolts don't loosen up by themselves,....

Unfortunately, you've just discovered the transom is Rotten,....

You'll need to pull the drive, then the motor, then the transom assembly,.....
Replace the rotten wood, then put it back together,....

Sinbad 39

Cadet
Transom seems solid as a rock...Boat was hanging from a lift out of the water for 13 years...never saw any water...

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Get a few pictures of the places where you can't get your head with a phone or digital camera to locate the leak.
Could be the steering oil cooler or any of the hose clips slack in that area.
I thought I had a leak on the transom shield, I could see streaks of dried salt below the exhaust "Y" on the fibreglass. Turned out to be a slight weep on the rubber hose that connects to the "Y", water was running down the "Y" out of sight and then dripping off the "Y"and down the hull.

Sinbad 39

Cadet
Yes Bondo it did rain...We are in Florida after all :) However the boat was hanging in a covered boathouse... Does look like I will be pulling the motor and checking it out though... Found a second leak but not as bad coming through the exhaust flange at the bottom of the Y tube... I could get to 4 bolts on the shield and 2 on the Y. Leak is much less but still more than I want to let go...

Bondo

Staff member
However the boat was hanging in a covered boathouse... Does look like I will be pulling the motor and checking it out though... Found a second leak but not as bad coming through the exhaust flange at the bottom of the Y tube... I could get to 4 bolts on the shield and 2 on the Y. Leak is much less but still more than I want to let go...

Ayuh,.... Covered,..... Gotcha,.... Sounds like it may not be the transom,....

The transom shield is sandwichin' wood, 'n don't need to be super tight,....

A problem y-pipe ain't the greatest, but Is easier fixin' than a rotten transom,....