1976 bayliner skagit with 351 windsor

tony0795

Cadet
Ok we bought a really nice boat that fired right up the day we bought it. Took it home put it in the water and ran great and then just died in the water. Kept trying to start it until the battery's died. Got it home, charged the batteries and then all we got was a click. Replaced starter, solenoid and still just clicks. Tried to turn fly wheel by the nut and won't move. Took out spark plugs put some mystery oil in and it turns very slow and takes a lot of strength to do it...any ideas??

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
This one probably needs to be moved to a spot that might actually get some attention.

tony0795

Cadet
I was thinking water got in somehow but we were under full power and it just died, I let it soak all night and see if we can get it to move....

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
This still in wrong section, but a heck of a lot better than DC.

Ya gotta tell us what brand power you have. Ford never put motors in boats, but OMC and Mercruiser used Fords along with a few others.

Bondo

Staff member
Ok we bought a really nice boat that fired right up the day we bought it. Took it home put it in the water and ran great and then just died in the water. Kept trying to start it until the battery's died. Got it home, charged the batteries and then all we got was a click. Replaced starter, solenoid and still just clicks. Tried to turn fly wheel by the nut and won't move. Took out spark plugs put some mystery oil in and it turns very slow and takes a lot of strength to do it...any ideas??

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,.... Pull the Drive, so you can see whether it's a Motor problem, or a Drive problem,.....

Btw,.... What drive ya got,..??

tony0795

Cadet
I didn't know I posted it in the wrong place, can someone help me post it in the right place....

captmello

Captain
If all is original, your engine dressed by Volvo would be a model AQ240. Your outdrive is most likely a 280, but could be a 270. Either way, in order to isolate the engine from the outdrive, you need to only pull the upper gear box of the outdrive.

Here's how. http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=309095

Welcome to iboats, btw.:)

captmello

Captain
yes it could. Also, pulling the upper gear box is part of routine maintenance. You will be able to check the condition of the ujoints, bellows, etc.

There are also bearings that support the driveshaft that goes between the engine and outdrive. Those bearings could be bad as well.

You're going to want to go through that drivetrain and make sure everything is in working order since its 40 years old! Take some pics as you go.