Please help, Volvo Penta SX-M 1.66 (2002) Actuator Seal Installation

keith.iwanicki

Recruit
I am having difficulty installing a new actuator seal into the housing. I am using a press and drift (large diameter side down, P/N 884259) as described in the shop manual. The first attempt installing the seal resulted in a nearly fully compressed seal that is now deformed (see picture, failed attempt on right, 2nd new seal on left, drift in the background). I have made sure the seal side with the smaller gap is face down on the housing. I have also applied a coating of VP sealing gasket compound (as prescribed), which I assume would help lubricate the seal as it is pressed into place (as well as form a water tight seal once dry).

It looks to me like the housing cup is too small to receive the seal, especially given the sharp/square edges of the housing (which seem to be preventing the seal from entering the housing, and have essentially "peeled back" the lips of the seal). Also, the actuator housing picture in shop manual does not look like the cross-section of my housing, as can be seen from the second included picture, the cup on my housing has an additional flange on the inside (that reduces the diameter).

Questions:
1. Is it possible the seal (P/N 853868) and the actuator housing (P/N 3855785 visible in second picture) are incompatible (maybe different revisions)?
2. Am I missing something to the installation?

Any tips or thoughts would be appreciated. I am trying to avoid destroying the second new seal as well.

keith

Update 6/26 - I visited a local authorized volvo penta service/dealer today. They contacted volvo directly and spoke with a technician there. Given both part numbers match up (the housing and the actuator), the only explanation the technician could offer was that heat may have caused the housing to change shape. Clearly this is not the situation.

I was able to find the pieces of the old seal I removed and can say that the old seal is most definitely different, specifically the old seal was NOT constructed with a metal band, and was completely pliable, which explains how the old sea was able to seat into the beveled housing. The new seal is constructed with a metal band underneath the green rubber coating (I am not referring to the visible springs, but rather the outermost circumference of the seal). I took the seal that was already severely damaged cut off the outermost rubber coating. Even with this coating removed, the metal band will NOT fit into the housing (because the housing is bevelled).

The volvo dealer and technician basically said to buy a new housing (P/N 3855785), but of course those are out of stock (not to mention I already have one as the P/N on the housing states). I did find an obsoleted part 873291-9 for a seal, but I suspect it will be the same as 853868.

Any help would be appreciated. actuator_seal_email.jpeg
acuator_housing_email.jpeg

Last edited:

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
To me it looks like there is still part of the old seal still there. I think it is what you are referring to as the additional flange? I think the 'metal band' from the old seal is still in the housing and is that band. Maybe it's an illusion from the pic, but that's my opinion.

Fun Times

Staff member
To me it looks like there is still part of the old seal still there. I think it is what you are referring to as the additional flange? I think the 'metal band' from the old seal is still in the housing and is that band. Maybe it's an illusion from the pic, but that's my opinion.
It does sort of have the appearance the seal is still installed.

keith.iwanicki

Recruit
You were absolutely correct! I pried the piece out with a screwdriver. Since I have never seen a housing without the seal installed (and it's nearly impossible to find a picture of the housing without the seal online or in the schematics) it was hard for me to know what I was looking at. But, I'm a bit shocked that the Volvo certified technician I brought the housing to didn't think of this either.

Thanks for the responses!

gbeltran

Petty Officer 1st Class
Find another tech, if he saw that and didn't notice I'd be going elsewhere........