Volvo Penta 5.0 No power to the fuel Pump

OH10

Cadet
I have a 1998 Regal 2100 LSR with a 5.0LPBYC Volvo Penta engine in it. Since i bought the boat the engine will stall out on the first start attempt but after that it would run fine for hours. Finally, the last time i tried to take it out it did its usual and stalled but this time it won't start back up. It ttys to turn over but won't. It will turn over if i spray some fluid in the carb but will quit when that dry's up. I checked the fuel filter and it looks fine and has some fuel in it. The fuel injected fuse looks fine and has 12volts. I hear no humming coming from the fuel pump. I checked the plug going to the pump too and no voltage. So is it a Fuel Pump issue or electrical. Any help would be appreciated.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Pump won't run until your engine is either actually running and alternator is charging or during cranking.

Do you give it a couple pumps with your helm console throttle before attempting to start? If you do and it doesn't start, have someone look while you do that(Don't crank over motor) and look down throat of carb to see if any fuel is shooting into it. If there isn't, the carb accel pump needs to be cleaned out or rebuilt.

Last edited:

OH10

Cadet
Definitely no fuel is coming out. I'll check out the accel pump when it finally stops raining. But I should be getting voltage to the plug for fuel pump when the batteries are on?

Also forgot to add. These problems happen after my boat trailer came off the hitch while I was driving. I thought maybe something just got jarred loose. I ran the boat that morning for 10 minutes before taking it out.

OH10

Cadet
Found the issue!! It was the circuit break, 40 dollar fix. Thanks