WHY WOULD VOLVO DESIGN A FUEL PUMP THAT IS SO EXPENSIVE ???

al1026

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Recently purchased a 2003 Regal Commodore . 28 ft
Has twin Volvo 4.3 GXI
This boat my retirement condo, big enough for weeks away, all the bells and whistles, air etc, sits on a trailer so I can pick and move

Some of you reading this might say, ( wise ass ) if you can afford a boat then don't worry about money, ( old school )

I still have my 21 ft walk around/ day fishing boat / Sea Ray with mercruiser I.O. - 15 years.

Have changed manual fuel pumps and was considering changing too a electric on my mercruiser, but never did.

Back to Regal
Purchased Regal two months ago and it has been a slow process .
Has a number of small issues that will be addressed one at a time, but biggest current issue is fuel related
Cant get up on plane and rpm are 2000 on port/ 2200 starboard full throttle
Fuel tank is 105 gallons one tank 2 pick ups separate hoses too each engine.
Added 35 gallons of fresh marine fuel . Gave 1/2 tank
Older fuel was siting 9 months ??
Prior too boat purchase, took on water test. First test ran as it does now ( thinking don't want boat ) .
Was a consignment boat , Gave another chance with owner and it ran great 45 minutes ( figured in experienced sales guys ) , .
Same fuel
Purchased boat and has never run good. Old owner came down too help and had no answer why it ran bad, ran great, now bad.?

I changed, fuel filters many times, ( black particles in port engine filter each time I changed ) starboard filter was cleaner
Tried cleaning fuel pick ups but cant get out. Fuel over fill was checked for vapor lock
Ran engines on 12 gallon tank of fresh marine fuel , no change
Checked flow syphon seems ok
Took off fuel cell pumps too have checked and they work , attempted too open clean filter, no luck would not separate and having no back up just sprayed carb cleaner and tried cleaning this way.
Pressure meter on pumps but meter was not working properly and never got back with another meter
While I was trying too figure it out I made an appointment with a quality marine shop,.
Brought in last week. . These guys are real busy - Waiting for their call .
Talking with them , they will check out everything, since both engines run equal all roads lead back too water in fuel, water damaging pumps , electrical, or something simple ( please like a ground wire ) hehehehe

My question is why would a manufacture put on too these vortex chevy s 10 engines a special design fuel pump that is so expensive ?
Plus they designed a crappy fuel filter onto the assembly, which seems quite small . .
There should be a separate large water separator for each engine which I intend too install upon boats return.

Ebay and other sources are selling new $ 619.00 upwards too $ 688.00
No re built , No Sierra or aftermarket
Dealer list is $ 950.00 which is what shop wants ? plus labor , only 4 bolts, fuel lines, 3 water cooling ,
20 minutes its on
Hate too spend 2 grand just on a crappy design fuel pump cell .

I see fellow boaters on this forum removed, opened fuel cell, cleaned screens, and it helped, I attempted but unit would not separate and was afraid too do damage ( having no back up ) prior too bringing boat into shop

Has anybody scraped this design and went different route, with another manufacture ?
High & low pumps are available but other issues could be in cell so replacing entire unit is advisable

Okay I vented, fell better, anybody faced with same and what did you do

thanks

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Okay I agree it is poor design. It is a lawyer design to fail safe. Yes they do come apart. There are suction screens on both pumps. They are very hard to find because mine were also covered with black paint. Clean them and the filter cap and the reservoir. Clean the regulator also . Do what you can do, then check both the low pressure and high pressure pumps output. Low pressure app. 5-8 psi. high pressure app 29psi. If their good, check the regulator and screen. Let us know what you find. Dave-R

JustJason

Vice Admiral
Volvo didn't design it.... Carter designed it and sells it to Volvo. If you think your fuel cell is bad, go look up the prices on the Mercruiser cool fuel module......

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Actually its a pretty beefy and high performance setup very durable. The only bad new was painting the interior of the cell with a product that...well is subject to falling apart. It can be cleaned out quite easily.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
May not be a Volvo specific pump.

Friend in Brazil was going to pay almost $1000 per injector on his engine. Was manufactured by Bosch and used in multiple applications / engines. Found them brand new for under $100.

Do some inquiries on the pump and see if it is Volvo specific. I am not familiar with the pump so I cannot point you anywhere.

Damn, last year on a late Saturday night, I diagnosed a engine with a Mercruiser with a bad electric fuel pump. Basically I was thinking his weekend was over and no SUNDAY FUNDAY for him.

SON OF A GUN ....... Here he comes Sunday morning down the creek heading to the swim hole.... FINDS out he found the exact pump for under $50 at the local hardware supply store. I could not believe it!!