Volvo GSx 5.7 leaking steering fluid AND water into bilge

GUnshipgator

Cadet
This past weekend, had some steering issues and upon checking fluid level, it was way down. Added fluid and inspected pump where I found oil in the bilge and a drip every +/- 4 seconds coming from bottom of the pump/reservoir. I can't determine the source of the fluid leak, but there is corrosion on the inboard side of the resorvoir that can't see. When running, the drip slows to one per about 11 seconds, which makes some sense I guess. Also have lots of water coming in. Did not inspect the source yet, but it's been bilging a bunch of water when I run the bilge pump, and had a lot to drain upon trailering the boat. Is it likely the steering pump and cooler are bad at the same time? Next question; I know I need a pump/reservoir, so is there a cheap(er) fix than a $320 pump?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
if your power steering cooler has been leaking water from the raw water side to the oil side, you would get a foamy mess of oil and water mix in the reservoir.

if your power steering cooler is leaking oil out to the water stream, you will loose oil, and eventually hear the pump.

Check Ebay and craigslist for a used pump.