2002 DP-S FWD Shift Issue

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Drive serial #4202054335

The drive doesn't shift into FWD reliably. Sometimes there is a hesitation, sometimes a light shot of throttle causes it to shift and then it engages with a clunk. It ain't right. It shifts instantly and properly into neutral and reverse. The problem is only into FWD.

I described the problem to a local shop when I had them pull the drive, check alignment, and change drive oil. They adjusted the the shift linkage on the drive and demonstrated the shifting to me when I picked up the boat. Of course, it shifted instantly and perfectly. Over the course of the weekend, the drive reverted to its old ways.

Today a friend and I took the cover off the back of the drive and looked at the shift operation with the boat on a trailer out of the water. When shifting into FWD, the shift lever on the back of the drive seemed to need just a TINY bit more throw to get the mechanism to "click". The shift cable threaded end has no more room for adjustment. It almost seems that all would be fine if the shaft on the shift mechanism that the cable actuates had some lubrication. However, its more likely that the issue is with the shift cable. Maybe there's a problem with the cockpit control or a cable stay between the cockpit control and the drive.

Any ideas what to do now? I don't have confidence in the local shops' abilities with this drive. I'd like to be able to point in the right direction whatever shop I end up using.

alldodge

Staff member
Drive serial #4202054335

The drive doesn't shift into FWD reliably. Sometimes there is a hesitation, sometimes a light shot of throttle causes it to shift and then it engages with a clunk. It ain't right. It shifts instantly and properly into neutral and reverse. The problem is only into FWD.

I described the problem to a local shop when I had them pull the drive, check alignment, and change drive oil. They adjusted the the shift linkage on the drive and demonstrated the shifting to me when I picked up the boat. Of course, it shifted instantly and perfectly. Over the course of the weekend, the drive reverted to its old ways.

Today a friend and I took the cover off the back of the drive and looked at the shift operation with the boat on a trailer out of the water. When shifting into FWD, the shift lever on the back of the drive seemed to need just a TINY bit more throw to get the mechanism to "click". The shift cable threaded end has no more room for adjustment. It almost seems that all would be fine if the shaft on the shift mechanism that the cable actuates had some lubrication. However, its more likely that the issue is with the shift cable. Maybe there's a problem with the cockpit control or a cable stay between the cockpit control and the drive.

Any ideas what to do now? I don't have confidence in the local shops' abilities with this drive. I'd like to be able to point in the right direction whatever shop I end up using.

Not a Volvo expert but I think you might need a new shift cable. They all wear and get sloppy

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Here is the resolution. The shift cable did need replacement and that was accomplished. It did help, but did not completely eliminate the problem. It still occasionally hesitated going into FWD, usually at the worst possible moment when close-in maneuvering was required such as trailering or docking.

The next step was to replace the cone clutch, a pricy endeavor, but that has it shifting instantly every time. It's not been long since that work was accomplished. So far, so good.