Fuel gauge reads funny

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have a 2002 Glastron GX205, with a 5.0GL-B motor. The last trip out, when the fuel gauge got to 1/2 tank it started bouncing from empty to 1/2 tank. Even when I stopped the boat, and sat in calm water it would occasionally bounce. I cleaned the ground wire, and replaced the fast on connectors coming from the sender, is there anything else I need to consider?? I haven't had the boat in the water since.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Well it was a good idea to clean the contacts at the sender unit, but do the same at the gauge and make certain the supply wires (positive and negative or ground) are good a well... Actually sounds like a loose wire and that is the reason for the bouncing... JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It also might be normal. As the tank empties, the fuel sloshes around more and varies the fuel level. Does it bounce on the trailer?

Is this a new problem?

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have had the boat since 2004, and it has never bounced like that before. That's why I figured I would start with the contacts and the ground on the sender. They were pretty corroded that why I went ahead and replaced the fast on connectors, and really cleaned the ground lug.

GA_Boater

After the fact I thought about asking if this is a new problem. Possibly the float on the sender is going bad.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
That's what I was thinking as well.. But I wanted to at least make sure the connections were not the root cause. I wont have the boat back in the water until mid June unfortunately. I was happy to see that the connections to the sender were pretty corroded, so we will see. Thanks for the advice..

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
Everything was tight and in good order at the gauge.. So it is either the connections I replaced and cleaned, or simply the sender is going bad..

GA_Boater

You can remove the sender and see if you get smooth gauge movement as the float is raised and lowered.

ddbyrd3

Petty Officer 1st Class
After cleaning the contacts, the fuel gauge read fine all the way down to 1/8 of a tank.. thanks guys..

GA_Boater

Thanks for the follow-up, DD. We hardly ever hear if our ideas helped. Go boating! :D