1998 Crownline 248ccr with volvo penta outdrive

rckmowery

Seaman Apprentice
Just purchased this 1998 crownline with a 5.7 motor and a volvo penta outdrive. Need to change the oil and this is my first inboard motor so need some advice on a good dipstick oil removal pump that wont break the bank and what the recommended oil would be. Any advice appreciated...And yes there are threads on the dipstick.

HalfFish5087

Petty Officer 1st Class
I can tell you which one not to buy. Pretty sure I found it at Napa and it quickly broke within the second change. I'm still using it after modifying it though. Make sure and run the engine a good while to warm the oil to operating temp which helps a ton.

Recommended oil is SAE 30W. I use Rotella 30W and others commonly choose Mobil 1 Full Syn 15W 40.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Do NOT get a pump that relies on a flexible tube that threads down the dip stick tube. You need one that connects directly to the dip stick tube or the hosepipe connection that the dipstick tube sits in.

mandmj

Seaman
I bought one of these:
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-1-4-quarter-gallon-oil-extractor-46149.html

after using a coupon was about $100, and makes changing the oil in the lawnmower/edger/etc much easier as well. I used an old washing machine hookup to adapt the VP dipstick fitting to the oil extractor and w/ warmed oil I can empty the engine in less than 5 min. (its a standard garden hose fitting if memory serves).

Also look at royal purple oil. its the only full synthetic 30W I could find (amazon). not sure if the rotella is synthetic or not (my manual for the 5.7 gxi-f specs full syn)