Need advise: Busted upper unit of Sterndrive

leeh0532

Recruit
I have a 1995 Regal Deckboat with a 300hp 5.7 GL I/O and I think the sterndrive is a DPC1. Last weekend when we were out tubing with the kids the boat was running perfect... Until the backend of the boat sounded like a bomb went off and pieces of what I now know is the transom housing, were flying into the water and smoke bellowing from the outdrive. The stern drive locked up and I was not able to put it into neutral or reverse. The shift cable was wrapped around the shaft and snapped in two. Once getting back to the dock I realized the joins, pivot pins, shaft sleave, bellows, transom housing are all broken. It looks to me like the shift cable was rubbing the joint and the I joint snapped and took out most of the upper unit. The engine is running perfect and the lower unit looks perfect. So should I get a new upper unit, should I replace the broken part, should I get a new stern drive, or should I get a rebuilt stern drive? I am a first time boat owner so Some of this is beyond my knowledge but I am pretty mechanically inclined. My mechanic at the marina did a rough estimate and said for parts and labor to replace "the mess" he guess around 5k. Mind you the boat value is around 10k. I have added a picture for you to see some of the damage.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    177.3 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190 KB · Views: 0

Jaegerboy

Seaman Apprentice
So, I'll take a stab at this but more questions than anything. From what I can see, and from what you've posted, somehow the shift linkage got entangled with the u-joints while in gear. The question of how that happened is important so that it does not happen again..Was the drive shaft bellows intact when you got underway, do you know? If it was, i'm scratching my head trying to see how it got up around the u-joints. Beyond that, you've got to pull the drive and begin with the transmission, or the upper and see what condition that is in. If the transmission still turns when you spin the prop than the coupler didn't break, so MIGHT be alright, but that's a lot of damage to those u-joints. A lot of pressure there. On the transom shield side, looks like you have a broken steering yoke, and the drive is over to starboard. No steering helmet. New u-joints and possibly transmission gears. All these parts are easy enough to get, and put on but it's time and money for sure. New transmissions are available, but must be properly shimmed when replacing. Ebay is your friend here. I'd want to make sure that the PDS is ok, along with the bearings. No movement in there at all. A lot of grease or oil in the water from what I can see. One question..What is that wire taped to the transom shield with what looks like a piece of duct tape? With the way the eccentric piston is positioned, were you in reverse when this happened? On the DP, that is the position for reverse...

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My guess is a u-joint failed and the cardon sleave whipped around and snagged the cable and the took out the steering helmet.

You may be better off finding a complete boat with a bad block for the complete outdrive

leeh0532

Recruit
Thank you everyone for your replies. Sorry I'm just now able to get back to you. No sir I was not in reverse when this happened I was in forward. No sir no duct tape just burned grease. I was finally able to get it out of the water and found my situation to be much worse. Found that the bell house, transom shield and prop shaft all to be broke. Decided to get insurance involved. We will see how that goes, he does think we hit something though. Ok I'll go with that. The crook (mechanic) at my marina quoted me $8356 to repair it and that was not including the prop shaft. I think I would be better off trying to din a complete assembly on eBay or in a boat grave yard.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    63.9 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 0
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    43.4 KB · Views: 0

f_inscreenname

Commander
I would start looking for a Volvo transplant. I'm kind of surprised with the bellows ripped up like it is you didn't sink.

billbayliner

Chief Petty Officer
Wow, never saw that before. That is going to be one heck of a job and the $8000, as far as I am concerned, is reasonable. Engine has to come out, new PDS bearings and seals, bellow, transom shield, etc, etc. Plus labor.

Helmut alone is $200 plus.

I do not come here much anymore, but put some picture up of the U/J's. I want to see if the was (long term) water in the bellow. I do not see any evidence of it on the PDS.