Mounting a trolling plate on a Volvo Penta SX Outdrive

Buzz67

Recruit
First time poster here with a problem. Last fall I bought a 1996 Sportcraft 250 HT with a Volvo Penta SX outdrive for salmon fishing on Lake Michigan. The SX outdrive has the hollow cavitation plate which is the exhaust port as well as being a dual prop. I need to slow the beast down for trolling so I have two options: (1) mount a trolling plate on the outdrive or (2) add a kicker motor. Option 1 is significantly less expensive so I'd like to go that route if possible. I'm receiving mixed reviews if a trolling plate can be mounted on this outdrive or not. Does anyone have any experience with this?

Secondly, if I have to mount a kicker motor, is there a connector bar that will work with this outdrive? I see that EZ Steer makes versions for Mercruiser and OMC Cobra sterndrives but nothing listed for the SX.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give.

Bondo

Staff member
I need to slow the beast down for trolling so I have two options: (1) mount a trolling plate on the outdrive or (2) add a kicker motor.

Ayuh,..... Welcome Aboard,...... I'll offer ya a 3rd option, that's cheap, easy, 'n Works,..... 'n a 4th that ain't so cheap,...

Get a pair of heavy duty, large drift-socks/ sea-anchors,....
I had my 60" set built in a canvas/ upholstery shop outa heavy vinyl, 'n 1, 1/2" webbin',...
Tie on a lead line, 'n tail line, then cleat the lead line off yer Forward cleats, 'n run 'em alongside the hull,...
The tail line is just to pull 'em in,....

Ya do yer fishin' off the transom, they're outa the way, up along sides,....

I used to stow 'em in under the gunnels, always cleated, just pulled in, 'n stuffed,...
Had extra cleats I added for dock lines,...

Since I bought great big over-sized Bennett trim tabs, I don't run the socks very often,...
Just trimmin' the tabs, All the way down, really slows my barge down,.... 1 mph or so, when the walleyes are sleepy,....

Buzz67

Recruit
Thanks Bondo. I considered drift socks and could still go that route. I've got drift socks that I use in my other boat so I can give that a try. I never thought about putting the trim tabs down but will try that as well. Thanks for the input.