1979 Volvo penta aq120 won't idle

dick-shotgun

Recruit
Hello, my name is **** and I was just recently gifted an old 1979 bayliner with the aq120b Volvo penta 270. It wasn't running when I got it. Would turn over but not start. So I pulled the carb gave it a good cleaning and checked the timing. Turns out the timing was off so I adjusted it and it fired right up first try. Unfortunately it won't idle unless I feather the throttle or put it above 1/2 throttle. If I try to bring it down to idle it chugs, spits some crap out of the carb AMD then dies out. Any suggestions?

Last edited:
I have 2 of these haven't used them yet ,but the first time I started the motor I took the fuel line off and ran a line from a clean fuel container to the fuel pump ,only because I knew the boat had sat for a while and I would be sure the fuel in the boats fuel tank would be old and bad ...nothing worse than filling a clean carb with bad fuel ......just a consideration

dick-shotgun

Recruit
Thanks for the input. I pulled all the fuel lines, filter, and pump and purged them all. Drained the gas from the tank and replaced with new gas. Unfortunately still having the same issue.

DarrellK

Cadet
A solid tune up is needed. If the timing was off, the points could be worn down. I replaced my points with a Hot Spark electronic ignition; a nice improvement. I would check the points, replace if need be (electronic ignition) replace the plugs with good resistor plugs, reset timing, and adjust carb. I expect you have the side draft carb as I do - there is no choke - the electronic ignition will help you out. Easy to install. If you have the original red plug wires, keep them, they are like cockroaches.

DarrellK

Cadet

Your post got me thinking. When you say the engine won't idle w/o feathering it - is this after the engine has reached operating temp of 180 degrees or during initial start up?

I ask because if you do have the side draft carb w/o choke, even tuned to perfection, you will need to feather that engine when it first starts. Throw in some spent plugs and worn points and it will take a bit to keep that girl running.