1983 Volvo AQ125A alternator not charging battery.

N1k920

Cadet
Yesterday went to lake and she died about 20 mins from dock. Got towed in and took battery to auto store after some basic troubleshooting looked for fuses wires that may have became disconnected. This is a new boat to me didn't seem to have an issue while at home. I have a ford resistor/ fuse in the mix of wires not sure what that is for. I TRIED TO POST PICTURE OF MY WIRES BUT IT WAS ALL TO BIG. I'm not sure if I can sent someone an email with them or another way to post help would be appreciated. It's a Paris Rhone alternator.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
Best bet is to try to find an auto alternator shop near you. They can check it out and give you an estimate of what it'll cost to repair or rebuild it. If it's shot, you can find relatively inexpensive marine alternators online. Not sure about the resistor. Could be a part of the voltage regulator, but may be associated with the ignition system.

On old boats, hard to tell how many people made repairs with what they had on hand and what worked for the moment. Just because you found it that way, doesn't mean that's the best way.

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
resistor is used to build up the field voltage, it needs to be in good shape. Check for open circuit and blown fuse.
These alternators must have a ground wire on one of the big terminals and the other big one gets the positive.

Last edited:

N1k920

Cadet
Thanks for the info. It took a while but the alternator was good it was the Manuel reset circuit breaker that was bad. Got a new one charges like a champ! Thanks