Help with AQ131 Oil in Antifreeze

axisg

Seaman Apprentice
[FONT=&quot]OK from the top. I am not new to working on cars or dealing with their issues but this one has me STUMPED !

2 full years ownership with this boat ( 87 Bayliner Capri with the AQ131 / vp275 ). Bought the boat with no heat exchanger ( PO had it rigged up for direct fresh water cooling thru the block ). I put a used Heat Exchanger on it and it became a sealed unit again. However as I would perform the pre-launch check of the fluids I notice trace amounts of oil that would raise to the top of the heat exchanger. The motor oil however remains clean and clear and I burn thru less than 1 litre from the open to close of boating season ( April to Late October ). If I leave the coolant more than 5-6 trips the coolant becomes very cloudy

Thus far I have done in 2013
- install heat exchanger
- full flush of the cooling system ( 5-6 times )
- added stop leak
- pulled the water pump and replaced the O-Ring*
- I would have to flush the cooling system after every 3rd trip before the cloudy mess would turn to milkshake

- head gasket in March
- sent the head out to be planed flat, re-seat the valves, ect...
- new bolts, seals, the works
- gasket match porting the intake and exhaust
- switched to Pertronix Ignition to help with a no-power issue
- After this the oil doesn't turn as quickly but I still have to flush it after every 4-6 trips
- I changed the head gasket again late in the season Sept. Copper spray, and put the GM sealing block in the cooling system to see if that will help
- Kept the boat in the water until mid-november and was still getting trace amount of oil in the heat exchanger

- January purchased a complete AQ131 from a guy re-powering his boat ( for parts )
- Swapped his known-good heat exchanger and exhaust manifolds to my boat in April with a full flush of the cooling system ( again )

** I make note of the Oring on the water pump because I noticed when I changed the HG last fall that the cam seal was weeping a little oil. It would dribble down the block and make contact with the rubber seal which seals the waterpump to the bottom of the head. When I took off the head I noticed that the gasket between the head and waterpump had gone from a very firm rubber to a very soft and swishy material, I figured for sure that is where it was sucking the oil from but I guess I am wrong.

So now I have had the boat out 3 times this year. I noticed trace amounts of oil just before I launched on Sunday. Pulled the cap this morning to check and the coolant is cloudy :/

Any thoughts ?? [/FONT]

axisg

Seaman Apprentice
well a month later ( 3 trips with an hour or so runtime each ) and it still pulls oil to the heat exchanger. The coolant is a little cloudy and will likely require a flush after the next run out. It's got me stumped