Help with lower unit oil

Boaterguy05

Cadet
I am changing the gear oil in my out drive today. Previously, I had burned up a clutch from over filling the drive. This time I followed the proceedure exactly. I removed the drain plug, dip stick on top and the air bleed screw. I pumped in the oil from the bottom until it started to flow out of the air bleed. My manual says 2.2 quarts, but this took more like 2.5 quarts. The manual also states that the oil level should come to the top of the flat portion of the dip stick. My question is this. With the drive unit level, oil flowed out of the air bleed, but it is only showing half way up on the flat part of the dip stick. Should I add a little more or call it good? From what I was reading, once it flows out of the air bleed it is high enough. This is a 2005 Chaparral with the 5.0 GXI-E and the SX-M 1.60 drive. Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Fun Times

Staff member
I pumped in the oil from the bottom until it started to flow out of the air bleed.
As long as the drive is level, that's all it really takes.

The manual also states that the oil level should come to the top of the flat portion of the dip stick.
The OEM manual mentions as long as the oil is in the flat surface area (range) of the dip stick, it's in proper range. That mentioned, it's best to stay in the middle to almost full range as any lower on the dip stick gets to low and not good for the gears, etc. Also be sure to screw in the dip stick hand tight for a more accurate reading....It's been recommended in the past by Volvo service instructors that the O-ring not be on the dip stick while checking oil level.

My question is this. With the drive unit level, oil flowed out of the air bleed, but it is only showing half way up on the flat part of the dip stick. Should I add a little more or call it good?
You can call it good due to the oil being in the middle is a typical range once a good flow of air free oil comes out of the upper vent hole...Just be sure not to go higher than the top flat range. If possible, be sure to recheck the oil level before next use.
http://www.boatinfo.no/lib/volvo/manuals/sx_dp-s_drive.html#/8

Boaterguy05

Cadet
Thank you for the info. I am going to leave it where it is for now. This is not the first time my manual has contradicted itself. This is a direct quote from page 90 of the manual, "make sure the oil comes to the top of the flat portion of the dip stick".