4.3GL PEFS Will Not Crank After Dying

marky4556

Recruit
Volvo Penta 4.3GL PEFS
Engine Serial # is 4012020323

I have been trying to bring back to life a 2001 Glastron SPX-175. I picked this up from a family member. It has not run for more than 3 years. It was winterized at that time. I have actually had it running just fine for 3 weeks and today it decided to quit.

Background: I have been primary working on it out of water using muffs. I keep a close watch on the water temp and it has never climbed over 160 F. Prior to starting it for the first time I drained and replaced the gas, replaced the battery and cables, replaced the impeller, and replaced the fuel separator/filter. It took me a couple of minutes on first crank, but I was able to get the engine up and running. It ran very smooth. I brought it up to temp, shut it down and then changed the oil and oil filter. I had a leaking water pump so I replaced that. I also replaced the engine belts and spark plugs. I have probably started it on muffs off and on 20 times over the last two weeks. It always fired right up.

What Happened: Today I was set to declare victory on the motor and put the rear seat back in the boat. I wanted to fire it up one more time before I did that. When I tried to start it, it would not turn over at all. I could hear the fuel pump going when I had the key in the start position and I could also hear the starter solenoid but I couldn't seem to hear the starter motor gear engage the flywheel . I hung a multi-meter off the control signal to the starter solenoid while trying to start and read +12V. I moved the meter on the input of the starter motor (output of the solenoid) and again read a solid 12V when I turn the key. This tells me that all of my electrical up to the starter appears good. I was thinking that the starter motor might be bad. I tapped it with a hammer a few times and boom, the motor started when I turned the key. This appeared to validate my thoughts that it was the starter motor. But, after about 30 seconds, the motor RPMs slowed a little and the motor died. This was the first time the motor had died since I have been working on it. I tried to tap the starter motor again with the hammer with no luck. I was perplexed.

My first thought when it died was over compression, maybe hydrolock or something was blocking the exhaust. I pulled all the spark plugs. There was no sign of water on the plugs at all, and the motor still would not turn with the plugs removed. I am thinking this eliminates over compression.

I usually do not shotgun replace parts, but in this case I went ahead and replaced the starter motor with a Sierra 18-5913 Starter. I figured the starter was 14 years old, so it probably wasn't going to last much longer anyway. The motor still will not turn over. With the Sierra, I can definitely hear the starter motor gear engage the flywheel but it will not turn. One thing to note now is that when I try to start the motor, I am measuring low voltage (about 1 volt) coming out of the starter solenoid into the starter motor. When trying to crank, the battery voltage holds pretty steady at about 12.25V. All of my gauges on the console go dim, though. I did try to short the battery terminal on the solenoid over to the starter motor screw. I got a large spark which left a mark on my screwdriver but the motor did not turn. I quit for the night and thew the battery on a charger. It's a brand new AGM battery. I checked the motor ground to the battery and it is good and tight.

I fear that the motor seized somehow. I am not sure how that could be though. I have kept a close eye on the temperature and have never run it without the muffs. Also, it just seems weird that it cranked great over the last week but all the sudden it doesn't now. The stalling event is what bothers me.

Things I plan to do tomorrow:

1. Take the original starter and battery to an auto parts store to be tested.
2. Hookup a remote start switch between the battery and the starter motor (as further evidence that I don't have an electrical problem).
3. Ring out the positive wiring hooked up to the starter solenoid to make sure I don't have any short circuits. Aside from the battery cable, I have a cable from the alternator and another going to the main 50A breaker on the same terminal.

After that, I am really out of ideas. I hate to pull the starter again because I don't have an extra set of starter mounting bolts and they are a one-time torque item. Does anyone know of a way to turn the motor over by hand? There doesn't seem to be any thing to get a breaker bar on to turn the motor. Do I have to remove the impeller and is there some type of spline adapter to turn the motor by hand?

I have a pretty good knowledge of motors and I do have the service manual for the boat. I am at a loss on this one. Any advice?

Thanks in advance and Happy Memorial Day.

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Remove the sparks plugs and then you can turn her over by hand, be sure we unplug the ignition

marky4556

Recruit
Thanks Henley. On this motor I cannot seem to find anything to turn by hand. There doesn't seem to be a crankshaft bolt in view that I can use. I have tried turning the pulley by hand with no luck

henleyhale

Petty Officer 2nd Class
With plugs out and ignition disabled does your starter engage and turn it?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
You may also want to take off the drive to make sure it isn't the drive that is seized. Definitely take out the plugs and try.