Volvo 270 with Volvo Penta 225D upgrade?

86Capri

Cadet
Hello all,

I have a 1986 Bayliner Capri with an old carburated Volvo Penta 5.0 225D, with a Volvo Penta 270 connected to it.

We used it last year, and had a great time, but I am going to tear into it this year and fix up a few things. While I am tearing into it, I was wondering if there was any upgrades I can do to the 270, or unit swaps I can do that will give it some more features? The steering is pretty heavy, and my fiance gets tired holding it for longer than a few minutes, and the lack of trim seems to make the boat nose up extremely high before it starts to plane. I see that there are other version, 275, 280, 290, Ts, Es, DTs, but I don't know if they are actually an upgrade, or swappable? Do any of them have hydrolic steering and a way to trim the stern up and down on the fly?

Thank you for any assistance you can provide.

86Capri

Cadet
I just double checked my boat, and I actually have a Volvo Penta 275, according to the cover. I don't see a way to chagne the title, or previous post. Sorry.

Volvo 275, not 270.

86Capri

Cadet
Well I did some more research, and it looks like most of my issues with the raised front of the boat before getting planed can be solved with some manual trim tabs. I will add that to the list of things to be installing.

So that leaves a question of is there a way to convert the steering to power steering? I see there is a volvo penta power steering actuator, but I am unsure if it can be integrated into a 275.

Thank you.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
What size Capri?
Too small a boat under 19ft. Trim tabs should be avoided.
They make a helper tab.It's a set tab that just extends the length by 8"
That will help.

The steering.
The 275 has a cone on the cavitation plate.
That's the steering fin/ exhaust snout.
Say the boat turns to the right on it's own.
Turn the fin to the right(from the back of the boat).
It will help with the steering.
Then if that doesn't do enough.
Hydrolic steering can be put on.
Expensive but well worth the $
You'd have to find the pump and all the hardware to change it over.
Probably find the parts but might take a few years to get it all???