Not shifting into forward or reverse

doms1214

Recruit
Last season I noticed shifting from forward to reverse was getting tough. I started the boat this season and it fired right up but wont go into gear. If its not the shifter cable what could it be?

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... Again,..... Post yer question only Once, in One forum, not everyone that might possibly apply,.....

'n of course, I have the same question again,.....

Whatcha workin' on,..?? Model number, 'n year would be Nice,.....

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
He posted in the Volvo Forum so he's probably working on an Atomic 4 :)
Maybe an OMC Cobra/ Volvo??

doms1214

Recruit
Thanks for responding guys, in my somewhat panicked state I realize I didn?t leave any info. I have a Volvo penta 5.0GL-E with the SX-M Drive. So I was able to get the cable free, but its still a little tight. Im trying to figure how to get the cable off from behind the shifter, its mounted to a panel so it?s a little tricky.

I do have some more questions though you might be able to help with. I am going to do my bellows. The U joint bellow only came with one clamp. On the DIY?s I found I cant seem to understand how it is attached on both sides and assume im missing a clamp. The exhaust has a clamp and C clip but it doesn?t look like the u joint one has a c clip.

Also, my drive is leaking some oil at the prop. I pulled the prop and then the drain plug and had a little water come out. I assume it?s the prop shaft seal. I know there is a tool required to fix this, but is it a hard job?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Drive bellows only needs one clamp, the nose of the drive butts up against the bellows and creates the seal. Make sure you locate the bellows correctly over the lip. I suggest you look at the Service manuals at http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html where you will find answers to your other questions.