280 DP prop shaft

scott68

Seaman
Took props off to go get the rear repaired and noticed a few things that i wasn't OK with. A few things that didn't look right, first, there was a small, tight spring that was wrapped around the shaft housing, plastic seal pieces and some wear on the front prop from apparent contact with the rear. I am new to this set up as I came from a Johnson outboard. Motor is 1988 AQ211a and what I believe is a 280 DP outdrive from drawing ID (father likes to paint over everything). I couldn't really find any info on any of this so any help and a direction would be greatly appreciated. I tried to upload a photo but not sure how to resize it

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your outdrive has to come apart and be resealed. the spring is the oil seal lip retention seal that has been destroyed.

time to download the manual from volvo penta and become familiar with the outdrive.

scott68

Seaman
After looking at the manual, I have a question. Can the bearing housing be removed without removing the prop shaft ? That is, if I was looking at the diagram and instruction correctly.... just don't want to create more of a problem for myself.