exhaust hose keeps tearing... help!!!

datdude936

Cadet
I have a 2000 larson 206 lxi with a Volvo penta gl 5.0 I have replaced my exhaust hose 3 times. 2 of those times they only lasted for one outing. When I gave it a good amount of throttle for a extended period of time the hose fails.. A gash opens up In the rubber and water and exhaust fumes start leaking out. The part that keeps tearing is # 20 in the attachment... Any help would b greatly appreciated... Also the boat cranks right up and idles good. I don't notice anything different until the hose fails.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2015-05-21-23-30-02.png
    Screenshot_2015-05-21-23-30-02.png
    602.9 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How hot is your exhaust getting? Clogged manifolds or a bad raw water pump could make the hose get hotter than it is supposed to be and tear easier.

Does this happen on both sides?

Grub54891

Vice Admiral
Either what Bruce said,or are the motor mounts secured? If they come unbolted from the stringer or the mount itself is bad,the motor can move to much,and cause some expensive damage to the coupler,or worse.

datdude936

Cadet
Thanks. I have a leaking raw water pump. It is a very small leak. I changed the impeller and seal but have tried to push off from buying the new water pump last year... I was going to buy a new pump before I took the boat out this year. Hopefully the water pump will fix the ripping hose..

datdude936

Cadet
How do I test the water pump to see if it's working right? I don't want to buy another one if its just a seal issue..

Bondo

Staff member
I have a leaking raw water pump. It is a very small leak.

How do I test the water pump to see if it's working right?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,..... The water pump could also be suckin' air from the leak, insteada water,.....

To test for water flows, ya start it up on the muffs, 'n start pullin' hoses to see where the water is goin',... or not,....

Start at the closest water hose to the exhaust that's burnin' up yer exhaust coupler hose, 'n work back to the raw water pump,...

Is this a Saltwater boat, or Freshwater,..??

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
My water pump shaft seal died and the pump started to suck air, caused the motor to go above 210 deg F due to a lack of cooling water. The seal can be replaced very cheaply, but while you have it apart replace the bearing as well. There are several posts on this forum giving details of how and part numbers.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Are the parts Volvo or aftermarket?

IF?? You have a leak then it can suck air too.
Try to reseal it.
Then go buy the pump.Ouch!!