Leaking fuel from banjo bolts on duel carb solex PA 44 on Volvo AQ125?

N1k920

Cadet
I came across 1983 bayliner, it ran about 40 sec first time I turned it over then died and fuel started leakin from banjo bolts. I tore apart carbs and cleaned the gunk out, rebuilt. Reinstalled and fuel leaked from washers. Got new bolts and copper washers and it still leaks. I pulled fuel pump and lines flushed out and replaced lines. Stop no go. I though it may be flooding but spark plugs are not wet after I turn over motor. I'm at a lost any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

dennis461

Chief Petty Officer
Banjo bolts...be real careful, you can easily strip out the carb threads. I use aluminum washers made from large electrical ring lugs and old fashioned gasket cement not silicone. You have to be real good at cleaning all internal passages of the carb. Be sure floats actually swing freely.

N1k920

Cadet
I can't find aluminum washers anywhere local. Only copper. I knew those threads where sensitive. Could I used a rubber O ring? Put it between the washer and fuel line? Or where do you put the cement? Floats swing very freely. It seems like it's getting too much fuel and just dumping it out the line. Is there like thread lock or selant you could put a small amount on threads?

alldodge

Staff member
I came across 1983 bayliner, it ran about 40 sec first time I turned it over then died and fuel started leakin from banjo bolts. I tore apart carbs and cleaned the gunk out, rebuilt. Reinstalled and fuel leaked from washers. Got new bolts and copper washers and it still leaks. I pulled fuel pump and lines flushed out and replaced lines. Stop no go. I though it may be flooding but spark plugs are not wet after I turn over motor. I'm at a lost any help would be appreciated.

:welcome: to iboats

The issue with banjo bolts is all surfaces must be flat, real flat. You have new blots and washers but the hose sides and carb surface need to be smooth and free of nicks and scratches

N1k920

Cadet
Yep make perfect sense! I'll give that a try. Thanks!! Also thanks for he welcome iboats helped before I ever posted.

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
I have also struggled with getting the banjo bolts to seal. Need to remember that the aluminum washers are a single use item. Compress and set them once, and that's it. Brass is too hard and doesn't conform to the surfaces like the aluminum washers. Believe me, I've tried. I order extras when I order an impeller or extra o-rings for the outdrive. Just remember that you need one for each side of the fitting, so it's 2 for each banjo bolt. Like Dennis said, soft aluminum electrical ring connectors work also. To be honest, it was a bit of a Homer Simpson, "Doh" moment when I first heard about that trick. So simple and I had been all over town looking for some sort of crush washers that would work.

N1k920

Cadet
Well what I ended up doing was hand sanding the fuel line and all washers put some sealant between each face and let it cure for almost two days. And no leaks! Running like a champ but after 30mins on water she just stopped working like the battery died or wasn't being charged by the alternator had to get pulled to dock. Soooo looking into that today. Hoping it's just a bad battery...

PiratePast40

Lieutenant Commander
One thing to keep in mind with these old boats is that, well, they're old boats. Every system needs to be verified. There are lots of things to cause the boat to just stop, and you would be doing yourself a favor to methodically go through the systems to inspect, and correct things before next time on the water. When you have a new issue, be sure to post a new thread. Otherwise, it'll just get buried in the old one and not seen. Believe it or not, there really is a great sense of satisfaction to getting an older boat up and running.

N1k920

Cadet
One thing to keep in mind with these old boats is that, well, they're old boats. Every system needs to be verified. There are lots of things to cause the boat to just stop, and you would be doing yourself a favor to methodically go through the systems to inspect, and correct things before next time on the water. When you have a new issue, be sure to post a new thread. Otherwise, it'll just get buried in the old one and not seen. Believe it or not, there really is a great sense of satisfaction to getting an older boat up and running.

Thank you for the posting info. I will start a new thread. Yes it will be a great satisfaction when she's up and running. In most cases it's cheaper to keep her. I don't want a 5-600$ boat payment on top of maint. I'd rather just fix and maintain all while learning on the way.

slag

Chief Petty Officer
dual carbs.. if you had duel carbs, they would be fighting each other. :) I hope you get your issues resolved.