Volvo Penta 280 Outdrive bellow and spiders replacement

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hello all

This is my first post!

Ive been scanning the info on this forum for sometime and wow, its been invaluable so thank you.

Before i start ill heres a quick run down of my current situation, I live in the UK, last year I brought a Fairline holiday dated approx. late 70's, I have a Volvo Penta AQ170C with 280 outdrive. Everything seems in fairly good condition for its age, I have done a standard engine service this year and rebuilt the sea pump, rewired the cooling system and added an upgraded water filter that seals the system much better, new drive belt, new alternator because the last one was running tired, ive rewired the fuel system and added an upgraded fuel filter/water separator.

The problem I have is when using the boat on a short run out 5 weeks ago I noticed a small leak, after researching this I realise its likely bellow needs replacing etc. So far i have managed to purchase the correct bellow and adhesive. When I used the boat in February this year there was no leak and it was totally dry last year so its a very recent problem. The boat has only been in Fresh water so im hoping the leak hasn't caused much corrosion.

There is no strange noises coming from areas that have bearings or mechanical moving parts.

My main questions are-

-What are the part number/numbers for the replacement spiders for my 280 outdrive please (ive looked on this forum but im still unclear), im hoping what I need I can obtain here in the UK.

-What are the other things I should replace and their part numbers, like gaskets and O-rings?

-Although im only going to remove the upper gearbox is it wise to drain the oil and replace? ( Last oil change was 7 months ago)

-My bell housing has a grease nipple so im under the impression I have a serviceable open bearing, if I need to can I replace the bearing and seals without removing the engine ( I understand on some Volvo pentas you can?)

-The starter motor has got wet and is now shot, does anyone have part numbers that and compatible please?

Sorry if some of this has already been covered but I want to be sure im purchasing and doing all I need to do correctly, I can only have my boat out the water for a few days to work on.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Mark

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Look up MarinePartsEurope.com
The AQ170C only has 1 bearing on the drive shaft and can be changed out with out pulling the motor.
Change the oil.
Buying anything from Volvo is expensive.
Check into getting your starter rebuilt.
Spider? Or absorber is expensive too. You sure yours is bad?

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Look up MarinePartsEurope.com
The AQ170C only has 1 bearing on the drive shaft and can be changed out with out pulling the motor.
Change the oil.
Buying anything from Volvo is expensive.
Check into getting your starter rebuilt.
Spider? Or absorber is expensive too. You sure yours is bad?

Thanks for the reply jerry

Im glad to hear the drive shaft only has one bearing and can be changed without pulling the engine, ill change both the bearing and seal.

By the spiders I mean the U-joints, while im changing the bellow is it worth changing the U-joints? They may be fine and worth just leaving well alone? This could also be said for the bearing and seal if theres no play? Im under the assumption that if waters gaining access to the bell housing the seal and bearing must be replaced, is this right?

Ive managed to source a starter motor from a Volvo breakers that's an identical match!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
No you don't have to change the u-joints or the seal.
That depends on the condition.
A LOT of rust and corrosion Yes change the u-joints and seal.
You might have to change the front yoke too.
Is there water in the drive?
What condition is the seal surface on the front yoke?
Rusted? Pitted?
The bellows should be replaced.

Pictures? Post a few of everything, close up shots.

boatingmark

Petty Officer 3rd Class
No you don't have to change the u-joints or the seal.
That depends on the condition.
A LOT of rust and corrosion Yes change the u-joints and seal.
You might have to change the front yoke too.
Is there water in the drive?
What condition is the seal surface on the front yoke?
Rusted? Pitted?
The bellows should be replaced.

Pictures? Post a few of everything, close up shots.

Thank you Jerry.

The boat is still in the water, I was hoping to get all I need ready to do the maintenance/repair as it can only be out a few days really.

Once ive inspected it I guess that's when ill know how much and what I need to do.

Thanks again!