Rattle Noise 1997 Volvo Penta 4.3 GS PLKD SX Drive.

jrgcbg40

Seaman Apprentice
Hello, While working on my engine idle problem, I discovered a rattle type noise from the left side of the motor. I can hear/feel it if I put my hand on the riser.I will attach a video of the noise. Wondering if its a valve train noise or timing chain noise? How should I go about troubleshooting this?
Thank You.
Link to my other thread.

http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engi...-low-rpm-and-dies-if-brought-back-to-neautral

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Sometimes.
The 97 was made with exhaust flappers in the down tube.
Sometimes they can make a racket when the rubber bushing melts or disappears.
http://volvopentastore.com/ index the 4.3 GS PLKD and look under the exhaust.
They stopped putting them in the newer units.

jrgcbg40

Seaman Apprentice
I checked for the flappers and they were gone. I took out the hinge pins and looked down the Y pipe with a mirror. I didnt see any blockage. I also ran my garden hose down both sides and water was coming out of the bellows and by the prop. I took the prop off and looked up that port and it was clear as well. I put some silicone on the holes where the pins were and put it back together. I thought the elbow might have been hitting on the power steering line but I put my hand between it and it was not hitting. Can I run it briefly without the elbow to see if the sound disappears? I checked the intake manifold,valve cover areas with a stethoscope and all is quiet there...phew. Are there any baffles in the riser?
I added a better link to the rattle sound. Thanks for all the advice.

Bondo

Staff member
I put some silicone on the holes where the pins were and put it back together.

Ayuh,..... Is that area of the holes, covered with the rubber boot as well,..??

If not, I wouldn't trust my hull to a couple dabs of silly-seal,.....

jrgcbg40

Seaman Apprentice
Yes it is, now if I can remember to put the plug in before I launch. I should be in good shape.