99 Regal 176SE with a Volvo Penta 3.0 not accelerating

kirk4life

Recruit
First time boat owner. I just purchased a 99 Regal with a Volvo penta 3.0. First day I had it out on the water it won?t accelerate past maybe 5-10MPH. Idles at around 2k rpms and full throttle around 3K rpms. Engine noticeably stops applying power about 1/3rd throttle and boggs down a bit. I can ease off of the throttle and bring the engine pitch back to normal, but boat will not accelerate or plane. Boat has had some recent work on the prop such as throttle cable, shift cable, exhaust bellow, drive shaft bellow, and trim sensor. After getting one of my buddies to look at it we replaced distributor cap, plugs and wires and rebuilt carburetor in an effort to get it to run with no luck. Any ideas?

Bondo

Staff member
After getting one of my buddies to look at it we replaced distributor cap, plugs and wires and rebuilt carburetor in an effort to get it to run with no luck. Any ideas?

Ayuh,.... Welcome Aboard,....... Did ya do a compression test while you were changin' the spark plugs,..??

What did the old spark plugs look like,..??

Was the timin' set,..??

Yer idle is Way high,.... should be 650/ 750 rpms, in gear, in the water,....

Who rebuilt the carb,..?? What was found in the carb,..??

kirk4life

Recruit
No we didn't do a compression test after we changed the plugs. The old ones didn't look bad. Nothing unusual looking about them. I took the carb to a mechanic buddy of mine and neither of us found anything out of the ordinary besides a little rust in the inside. Timing was not set to my knowledge.

Boat is now at mechanics so maybe he can diagnose.

benclegg

Cadet
I have the same engine with exactly the same problem, mine just sounds like fuel starvation, anyway I took the fuel pump out and WOW what a mess. Completely caked in Cr@p!. Took it to pieces to try and clean it / fix it up. Put it back in but still the same issue.
The pump is definitely in need of replacing so I've now ordered a new one. Hopefully this will cure my issue,
how you doing with yours?

Ben

Attachments

• 3L GLP J  (3).jpg
    3L GLP J (3).jpg
    149.4 KB · Views: 0
  • 3L GLP J  (2).jpg
    3L GLP J (2).jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 3L GLP J  (1).jpg
    3L GLP J (1).jpg
    104.5 KB · Views: 0