3.0 L Volvo Penta with Holley 2300 center hung float Mid-range issues

bergadam

Seaman Apprentice
I recently replaced my 1998 3.0 L MWTR Volvo Penta with a new motor. I have completed the break in period and have a pretty good running motor if it wasn't for the mid-range bog that I get. I have no issue reaching WOT but right around 2500 RPMS I get a serious hesitation, but if I leave the throttle there the engine will catch up. Also if I throttle all the way it seems to minimize the hesitation. If I increase the float level I get less of a hesitation but I lose my ability to cold start and my idle is all over the place. Could this be a fuel pressure issue even with me being able to get WOT? It runs great on plane and I can pull a skier out of the water but if I try to run in the 2000 to 3000 RPM range it runs bad. I cannot tell if it is running to rich or lean. Any thoughts would be great.....Thanks in advance for your help.

bergadam

Seaman Apprentice
Also, if anyone has any suggestions how to hook up and what fuel pressure gauge to buy, that advise would be appreciated as well. And I meant to say "Warm" start instead of "cold" in my original post. Thanks!

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had the same carb on my last boat with the same issue. I adjusted the arm on the carb accelerator pump removing any clearance/play and the problem was solved

bergadam

Seaman Apprentice
Well that didn't work, I am wondering if I should over size the jets