270/280 parts interchange

02_919

Cadet
Hi!
New to the forums here and hoping you all can help! I've got a 1975 Glastron Carlson CV16V8 with a Volvo 280 outdrive that my family is trying to get in working order again (my grandpa bought new and he just passed away this winter).

We have had troubles with the lift mechanism and took it apart to see what was up. The shaft was bent and it also took a chunk out of the transom plate/shield where the mechanism exits the boat. Unfortunately the damage is above the oring seal on the lift mechanism so we need to do something to get this repaired.

I found a decent looking transom plate locally from a 270 but I'm not sure if the two will line up or if I need to find one directly from a 280. Does anyone know if these parts will interchange? Any tips or pointers on replacing the plate that we would need to be aware of?

We also need the housing off the lift mechanism itself (the threads broke off the housing where the nut threads on - #9 on the parts diagram https://www.marinepartseurope.com/en...-90-13073.aspx)

Any help or insight you can provide would be great!
Tom

Last edited:

captmello

Captain
welcome.

It sounds like a cool old boat with family ties, which makes it worth the effort!

I think the transom shields should be the same. If you have yours off and can bring it with you to match the one you found locally, that would be the best bet. What engine do you have in the boat?

You may have to check ebay for the tilt assembly, they can be costly.

02_919

Cadet
Thanks for the reply. It's got a 302 Ford V8 engine. I found a couple on ebay and they are quite spendy!

captmello

Captain
The difference you may run into is the exhaust. Some V8 Y-Pipes have idle relief ports which exit the side of the transom shield. Some have one port some have 2. You'll want to get a transom shield with the same ports. The ports can be plugged if not in use. In this pic you can see one idle relief port, its the black dot in the center of the pic. There is one on the other side as well. I've got a 350 and the y pipe has two ports.

03-21-09_1235.jpg

02_919

Cadet
Interesting. I'll have to take a close look at mine to see what we've got. I thought all the exhaust exited out the lower unit on the fin above the prop. I appreciate your helping me out! The guy here has three plates in his storage unit so I hopefully have some options.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
You'll need to pull the transom assy. to replace.
So take it apart and then go compare.
Pics, close-up pics will help.

02_919

Cadet
Thanks everyone. I found a nice lift assembly on ebay and the guy with the transom plate is going to show up either today or tomorrow.

02_919

Cadet
Update for anyone who is interested. It looks like the 270 plate isn't quite the same as the 280 plate. The outside dimensions are the same but the shaft for the yolk on the 280 is significantly larger than the 270. There isn't enough material on the 270 plate to machine the opening bigger so it looks like these don't swap out.

captmello

Captain
I'm surprised to hear that. When you look up the part #'s for the transom shields for the 270 and 280, while the numbers have been changed over the years, they share the same part numbers. The drive shaft you mentioned is housed in a bearing housing that has a "snout" that fits through the transom shield. The snout is what the ujoint bellows attaches to and the 270 and 280 outdrives use the same bellows. In some cases there are early and late types, but I'm stumped. :confused::mad:

02_919

Cadet
I know what you mean I've been confused myself. My plate doesn't have a part number on it anymore so I can't guarantee what specific casting it might have been from but I can tell you that we've never had the plate off the boat before and we've owned it since new. The outdrive says 280 in big letters so I can't argue that it is anything other than that.

The hole I'm looking at is where the steering yolk comes through the transom plate (#2 on the parts list). I've heard something locally about a 'small-shaft yolk' and 'large-shaft yolk' but no idea if this was related to a 270 vs 280 or to another model that maybe used a very similar transom mount.

At any rate, I did get a unit today that has all the right sized openings (even though this one has some unique casting differences on it, it should still work on our boat). Are there any good tips on reinstalling the plate to the boat? Looks like I should at least get new o-ring seals that go around the bolt holes (#59 on the parts list). Should I be putting sealant like boat life caulk or another sealant around everything? Are there other gaskets or maintenance items I should do with everything tore apart now? This is the time to do a refresh since everything is in pieces on the floor of the shop :)

Thank you!