1985 Bayliner Capri Volvo 2.1 270 overheating

Travmad804

Recruit
http://forums.iboats.com/forum/engine-repair-and-maintenance/volvo-penta-i-o-inboard-

Re: 1985 bayliner 2.1 volvo penta I/O overheats

Hey, I have the same boat. If yours is a trophy? Any way ,the water will come out the exhaust. Which is the kinda triangular opening above the prop. There are two pumps,one for engine block. One is a raw water pump. The maual warns against running with out the thermostat? We do it with cars all the time? But do be careful if you do that. There are lots of places where you can have a small air leak in the raw water system. Even a small air leak can cause the pump to not work well. The fitting the other guy mentioned is often the problem. It can clog or even break. I have already replaced mine. The impeller is often the problem too. It is easy to replace,not too pricey. I have had some leak issues with the lines on this pump. Last time I took them off ,I used some gasket maker to help seal them. No problems since.
I have a twenty two foot trophy boat. She is slow,but steady. And a pleasure to fish from.
If I can help in any way just let me know. I am pretty good with this boat,as I have redone most of mine.
Hope it works out for you.
Eddie

Im having the same issues with my 85 Bayliner Capri Cuddi Cabin 2.1 Volvo Penta. Im new to the page, also new to boating in general. Im more of a car guy and do my own repairs but Im leery jumping into a lower unit. When I hook the hose up with the muffs Im not getting any water coming back out of the exhaust. What exactly is the pump on the motor (with the two copper lines) for? Is that for coolant like a car with a radiator? I thought the impeller would suck water up into the engine and pump it back out through the exhaust to keep the engine temp cool. Do you have any instructions or links that would help in replacing the impeller in the lower unit, and where to find a replacement part? Im having a hard time finding a replacement impeller or any instructions like a manual or someone that has done it with pics to help so I can do it myself. Any advice or anything anyone would like to share is much appreciated!

Travmad804

Recruit

Re: 1985 bayliner volvo penta 2.1 with 270 outdrive overheating

I check the intake fitting under the ujoint bellows. It corrodes and leaks air.

Looks like this.

Intermediatehoseconnectioncorrosion.jpg

Just reread your post. Where are you adding water? You have a closed cooling system. You should have antifreeze in the block and in the red expansion tank, and you have a heat exchanger which is in the housing with the black cap just starboard of the red tank. Do you understand how the cooling system works?

Ok Im new to the forum and new to boating in general. Im more of a car guy but getting into the boating world with my first boat 1985 Bayliner Capri Cuddi Cubin 18' Volvo 125hp (AQ125?) and 270 outdrive (I believe its a 270). I dont mean to sound like an idiot but maybe im not understand the cooling system properly. I always thought a boat sucked up water from the impeller in the lower unit and cycled through the engine then exhausted it somewhere like the side of a lower unit or hole in side of boat. Im guessing thats not how a closed coolant system works. My boat seems to overheat with the ear muffs on, I cant see any sign of water spraying out from the exhaust or side of lower unit or side of boat. With the closed coolant system I guess I add water (antifreeze/coolant preferred?) to the red tank to the left top side of the engine and do I also ad water to the radiator cap on the front of the engine as well? I guess the thermostat opens and cycles the water through the engine and back to the tank? I ran it for about 5 min and added water to both the red tank and the radiator cap housing, I left the caps off and it didnt look like water cycled through at any point, the temp just kept raising, maybe a bad thermostat? Either way I know it should be exhausting water from somewhere and Im not getting that. Any suggestions? Thanks.

Travmad804

Recruit

So I am new to the forum and new to the boating world in general. I just got a 1985 Bayliner Capri Cuddi Cabin 18' with a Volvo Penta 2.1 (AQ125?) and a 270 outdrive. I was assured by the previous owner nothing was wrong with the boat and it was good to go. I took it home and it started right up, engine sounds good but it started to over heat. I noticed that having the ear muffs on I did not see any return water spraying out of the exhaust ports on the lower unit. I also noticed a brown milky foamy substance dripping out around the exhaust bellows, seems like oil/water mixture, and Im sure thats not good, any ideas of what that could be? I did a little research and found out this is a closed coolant system. Im guessing that I add water (antifreeze/coolant preferred?) to the red tank on top of the engine and it will cycle through the engine when the thermostat opens. Im going to remove the thermostat and see if it opens but my question is what is my next move for figuring out the overheating problem and the issue with water not exhausting out. Any suggestions of what to do and where to buy parts would be a big help. Thanks!

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
OK, you got 2 systems on that motor. AQ125B
http://volvopentastore.com/ Go to this site and the diagrams will help.
One is the fresh water cooling that the drive picks up.
That's sent through a heat exchanger to cool the antifreeze in part #2.
The cooling water goes through the heat exchanger that's in the tank(called a housing) cooling the antifreeze.
Then gets sent out the back through he exhaust manifolds.
You need 2 caps. One for the expansion tank(radiator cap) then one for the seawater strainer.
The big tank hold antifreeze.
The strainer is where fresh water circulates.

The 270/275 drive on the very bottom is a 1/2in hole that needs to be plugged when running on a hose.
If it's not plugged it won't get water up to the motor.

Front right on the motor is a fresh water pickup pump.
Take the cover off and check the condition of the impeller.
It's possible it's shot now that you've been running with no water.

Nhpatriot

Seaman Apprentice
I've got the same boat and motor setup and have never been able to use the muffs. Runs fine in the water but doesn't like the muffs.
I've added a hose connection to the copper water pump intake line to allow for running in the driveway.