vovlo penta 5.7 gsi TBI need parts ???/

qcarlson

Seaman
I have a bad fuel pressure regulator on this TBI, I know its a Rochester build so there has to be a rebuild kit somewhere any one know where I might find this?????

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
You will need the serial number off the engine to determine the right part.

qcarlson

Seaman
Sorry I thought I mentioned it was a 97 5.7GSI its a 5.7gsiPWTR to be exact. I have the Volvo Part Numbers they are NLA, Im looking for someone that has had to chase there tail like I have and found a rebuild kit from the automobile application of the TBI....here is the part number for the TBI...3856395

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
that link is being blocked would you be willing to message me

Thanks for the help

Last edited by a moderator:

qcarlson

Seaman
OK I Was able to find the kit to rebuild the Fuel Pressure Regulator, but that was no help. The problem I seem to be having is that the IAC keeps slamming shut when I give it any throttle and the thing falls flat on its face. originally we had a lot of black sooty smoke, I believe this was due to the timing being off so we corrected that its no at 8 BTC base mode, we replaced a fault ECT sensor that also could be contributing to it, The IAC seems to be functioning, when I perform a IAC reset the motor will start and run fine be eventually the computer will request anywhere from 65-255#CS of the IAC and that when she stumbles and falls, I tested the TPS and that seemed to be working fine the throttle position corresponded correctly with what the computer was reporting and when I graphed it the wave form seemed to be normal except around 11-14% of throttle there was a small spike in voltage so I replaced that with no change in an effort to eliminate the problem there. I have cleaned the IAC and now I sit here at a loss this is a fresh motor with maybe 12-14 hours of runtime on it and great compression all cyls at 165 to 170lbs. I checked fuel pressure high and low side are normal and the injectors are new as well. does anyone know what would cause the computer to request such drastic numbers from the IAC? thanks in advance

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
You say a fresh motor what has been done....have you checked you map sensor.....are your knock sensors functioning????

qcarlson

Seaman
Reman Jasper long block, knock sensor appears to be functioning and no codes replaced map sensor also.

qcarlson

Seaman
I should add that the map sensor was bad so we replaced it at the star of this is was completely non functioning even when vacuum was applied to it

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
http://www.gmtuners.com/tech/TPS_IAC.htm

Now that a first the IAC closes at throttle... id say you have a ground issue. Your original volvo engine did it have true vortec heads (l-31)...... valve cover's have center tie down on true vortec heads 97 is awful early for boat's making the transition from the old head to the new head.

Iam staying positive at this point but there are so many coming in with tbi problem's its crazy..well maybe. Remeber a carb is cheap and the cross over is simple.

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
Well the valve cover bolts are down the center, the other oddity is the iac motor when disconnected gives the same type of values almost like the ECM is just making up the numbers on the fly, Grounds are good at all points that I can think of. I double checked ground straps and have ground everywhere on the engine.

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
UGHHH well I was looking up the number for the ECM on obd Diagnostics site and the module we have is for a 5.7 GLI-plkdce these aren't interchangeable that I am aware of, this boat came from a dealership PO basically gave up on it had a cracked block and motor had been removed and was just set in the hull not even on the motor mounts so we replaced it with a long block the plenum cover says 5.7 GSI as well as the PPW from the dealer they said it was a 5.7gsiPWTR. This is a nightmare in progress. using Diacom all numbers displayed are in spec except the IAC and that appears to be working or at least its adjusting. I hate throwing parts at something with out being able to first diagnose it. any suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated as of now the thing just spits and backfires It wont even start. I verified the timing last night before replacing the TPS this morning. After replacing the TPS against my better judgment I seem to have created an additional problem, the new TPS is functioning in the same manner as the old one so I am confident that is not the issue.

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
Well here is the number off the ECM on the engine 3856868

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
I'm not sure that it's the right ecm for the motor it doesn't match up with the ecm listed on obd's website. For the model we have both are a 5.7 so I don't know if they have different parameters. I am certainly starting to think that I have a problem with the ecm. I'd like to test it myself just not sure how to.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well a motor is a motor so you bought a new engine and you bolted all of the old parts off the frozen engine to this new engine is that right?? i do mean everything is there any new parts going onto this new motor. And do the valve covers on the old engine have three bolt's running down the middle of them...This new engine just how much came with the new engine???

The link im posting here is merc but the fundamentals are the same just minor nuances...it should give you enough traction to start understanding what you have going on here,

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3waQufF7aAAQnVaNmlWQUI0Z2s/edit?pli=1

Last edited:

qcarlson

Seaman
When the boat arrived the engine was laying in the engine compartment. We ordered up a long block from jasper referencing the serial number off the Volvo, I moved all the parts from the old to the new with the exception of the distributor being damages and the dealer that damaged the distributor due to just dropping the motor in and not securing it for the hundred or so mile trek to my place ordered me a Volvo branded distributor. The valve covers have the bolts down the center they are the valve covers off the original engine. As far as what came new with the new engine it was your basic long block new block pistons( and accompanying components) and heads. Intake and everything else is off the original.