Volvo high idle

stopher8

Cadet
A buddy of mine just bought a 2002 Stingray with a 3.0 Volvo SX. The engine and everything seems to run good but its idled too high. If I manually pull the carb butterfly lingage towards me against the idle set screw it idles down. When you put it in gear and run it up a bit then back to neutral its at the high idle again. Like it needs a throttle return spring. There's not a spring on it. Is there supposed to be? Is this a cable adjustment issue/stretched cable or what am I missing? This high idle causes it to slam into gear pretty hard and makes controlling the boat at low speed very difficult.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

skydiveD30571

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Adjust the throttle cable so that it provides a slight closing pressure on the linkage when returned to neutral. If that doesn't work, you're dealing with a stretched cable that has too much give in it. Time to replace it.

stopher8

Cadet
I adjusted it last night with a slight pressure against the linkage. Not much threads left to adjust with but I did get 3 full turns out of it. If it needs any more than that we'll have to replace it. Thanks for the help!