Volvo Penta 5.7GS Duo Prop questions on changing leg oil

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Looking for feedback for servicing of Volvo 5.7GS duo prop leg/outdrive. I have a 2000 Doral 250SE and I am hauling out of the chuk in 10 days to bottom paint change /zincs wax and polish. I have approximately 65hrs on current leg oil and expect to do 75 hrs this summer so I am thinking while out I should change /inspect my leg oil.

I am not familiar with doing it myself but would like to as my service shop may not be able to do it while I am hauled out as they are real busy, so I either delay it or do myself Do the props need to be removed for leg oil change? All tips feedback are welcomed.

I believe the link below is correct for my leg as far as a manual goes , I am just not sure what difference is bewtween DP-S, DP-SM Drive
http://www.appletonpier.com/auctionsourcedotnet/boat/volvo penta marine engine owners manual.pdf

Thanks

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yes you need to remove the props, the drain is the hex headed bolt just below the shaft.
You will need new "O" rings to seal it after draining the old oil.

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
There is only one o-ring on it. Put some electrical tape on the threads before you roll the new on over them so you don't cut it.

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
There is only one o-ring on it. Put some electrical tape on the threads before you roll the new on over them so you don't cut it.

Thanks for the recommendation.
That is an owners manual. You want a service manual.

Loot at your model number to determine what you have. It will be an "EF" or "WT"

Go here and look up your manual.
http://boatinfo.no/lib/library.html#

Will look up model today while at marina

ciscokidd

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for the feedback guys, my model is 5.7 GS PWTR so I guess it is a "WT" what does that mean/reference rest of #'s below are 4110196196 then below 3868946 and on thag beside TSK SX-M, then below 4111628425 and then below , 3868844.

3rd tag has DP-SM 1.95 (M22 I assume that is prop pitch?

Last question to change my impeller pump is any special tool required and any tips as marina does not have time to change and I understand it is quite simple and accessible.

Thanks

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Nothing special. There are 4 screws holding on the housing. One might be hard to see.

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
And fill your drive from the bottom....keeps it from getting air pockets and subsequent servicing.

Impeller will get squished to 1 side when installing, be patient and watch the oring. The black sticky compound can be a real mess, avoid getting it n anything.