Engine temp Sender or Switch location?

Hi,
I have a 2006 Rinker Volvo Penta 4.3 GXI-E. My engine temperature gauge is no longer working. I have read in other forums to replace the Sending Unit/Switch. However, I am highly confused on where exactly it is. Since I am not a mechanic by any means, can someone spell out its exact location, or even better, show one in a picture, I am confident that I can change it if I can know exactly where it is. I have seen various diagrams but I haven't seen one that points it out directly. Many thanks!!!!
James

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard.

The water temp sender is on the intake manifold next to the thermostat

Prior to spending any money on your gauge or sending unit, first do a proper diagnosis on the gauge and sender.

using a volt-ohm meter, measure the resistance of the sender from ground to the terminal. it should be in the 90-230 ohm range. grounding the wire should peg your temp gauge.

you may just have a bad connection at the sender, or at the gauge.

Hi, thanks, I found what I think is the right part. It was screwed into the engine, the top was painted red like the engine, with a tan wire connected to it. I don't have a meter but will get one tomorrow. if this isnt right, I'll keep looking,lol.
18-5897_big.jpg

dypcdiver

Lieutenant Junior Grade
The sender and switch are 2 different items. One, the sender tan wire is for the temp gauge. The other tan/black wire is the switch for the high temp alarm.

Last edited:
Chief, the tan and black wires goes to the 2 exhaust overheat sensor on top of my exhaust manifolds and one other sensor (must be the switch) but it is at the bottom of the engine on the opposite side of the temp sensor that I showed in the picture. total of three tan/black wires.

I am getting a multimeter today and will figure out if the gauge is bad or if the wiring is.

After running some test the sender appears to be fine, the wiring too, but the gauge itself must be bad. ordered a new one and new sender too. thanks