aq125a wont restart after running to temp

vdubin2quik

Recruit
I have a 1984 Volvo aq125a, just took it out of hibernation for the year. Last year it was having some carb issues, so I decided to rebuild the carb this year as the accelerator pump wasn't working. Rebuild went good, no issues found other than the spring on wrong side of diaphragm in pump.... anyways, installed, and wouldn't start, no spark. Decided it was time to upgrade to electronic ignition and get rid of the old points. So ordered a new coil and hot spark kit. Installed today, and it fired right up. I set the timing, ran the engine up to temp, was running ok for being old gas. Would free rev easily to 6k, seemed good to go. Locked dizzy down and shut off engine. Tried to restart and no go, just cranks. Has good spark, tried moving dizzy to see if that changed, no go. Got it started on ether and it ran but wasn't running good. Shut down and again wouldn't restart. Got it to start one more time briefly, but had to hold it wot and it just sputtered and died. Now I'm at a loss. I'm a diesel tech by trade, and have lots of watercooled VW experience. But I'm no carb guy. so now my next step is to bypass my fuel filter with a clear one to see if its flowing fuel, pulled plugs, they are dry, look good, but are a few years old so I'm going to replace. Any other advice? I'm at a total loss for why it would run great, then not start again after shutting it down.

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Welcome.
That motor/carb
You should be able to see if it's pumping fuel as you pump the throttle.
Have someone on the throttle as you look in the carb.
Have them try to start as they move the throttle back and forth.
Look down the throat as they try to start.
Sometimes you need to open the throttle all the way and hold it there as you try.

You sure the carb spring is in the right place?

vdubin2quik

Recruit
Accelerator pump is squirting fuel when throttle is moved. I have linkage unhooked, and a remote starter button so I can't crank it and check everything myself. Was doing some searching last night and read someone else had a similar issue, and his had jumped time... so I'm gonna check over everything today and see what's what.