Question on Solex One BBL Carbs-On Volvo '170' inline 6 # 44PA1 (Made in 1976)

Capt. Willie

Seaman Apprentice
Boat had sat untouched for ten yrs, I took her home, cleaned plugs, points, and flushed tank, added new fuel filter, (positioned after electric fuel pump). Didn't touch carbs then, (3 one barrels) or mechanical fuel pump, (engine mounted, and after fuel filter). Motor started right up, idled and ran great..............fast forward to last week: it wouldn't start, or even pop a bit...starving for fuel, but if I poured a bit of gas down carbs it would run a few secs.

I found alot of sediment, etc, upon first rebuild, and then I re-installed, and the motor would run @ higher RPMs, but wouldn't idle, so then I bypassed the mechanical fuel pump, (a source of sediment???)..... I rebuilt carbs a second time, found very small quantity of sediment, I did an extra thorough job, but same old story, still no idle, not even a pop or spit.

I have the pdf of Diagram....but I'm stumped, and feel I'm missing something obvious. Any advice, or other options would be appreciated.

Capt. Willie

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks BD, :yo:I was hoping to fix mine. Most likely carb blockage....another rebuild................:ballchain:

I'll have to start from square one, clean mech fuel pump, and did remove gas tank today. I did a good job flushing tank 3 months ago, (and then put in 2 gal.) but today I found some sediment in the tank...more than expected...and varnish on inside of alum. tank that wasn't there prior. It seems the fuel went bad in about 3 months.

:focus:

My main question now on the carb is how to remove the emulsion jet.....it rotates, but doesn't unscrew from base, :confused: (Mike's Carb online said that it is threaded).:ballchain:

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
To remove the emulsion jet, pull and rotate at the same time, and it will come out.

HorizonblueDK

Petty Officer 1st Class
Forgot to mention that when you pull and turn, the emulsion jet and a piece of pipe comes out. The jet itself needs is screwed into this pipe.