Harmonic Balancer Thickness difference

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Hi all,

So I had a badly rusted Harmonic Balancer on a Volvo 5.0Gi PWTR engine. I removed the old one and ordered a replacement chevy 8" Balancer.

I knew of the differences in diameter, 6" vs 8", but the one I purchased is about an 1/4in narrower.

Everything is identical, diameter, shaft length, mounting face distance, timing mark, etc. This one is just not quite as thick rearward (and as such most likely weighs less)

Is this ok? I know Volvo uses the exact same part for the 5.7's and 5.0's. So would a slightly lighter balancer on a 5.0 make a difference.

Im usually one to go by the book, but just looking for some thoughts.

Bondo

Staff member
Is this ok?

Ayuh,.... I would think so,..... If all else is the same, 'n it's a neutral balance balancer, Bolt it on, 'n Go Boatin',....

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
So it works fine, it mounts up and lines up perfectly.

I ended up doing more research and I found that they made the 8" balancers in two thicknesses, the biggest being used on the high-performance, high constant RPM LT-1 engines.. Volvo must be using the largest/heaviest one from that spec.

I can't really find any cross reference info, and frankly paying Volvo Penta $400+ dollars for an OEM balancer is crazy.

evantful

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Just as a final follow up and for future reference if anyone stumbles on this thread.

So I can confirm that Volvo Penta used the largest 8" x 1" 11/16 thick Harmonic Balancers on any Engine (seems to be the 1994-2000 5.0/5.7) using the Volvo Part Number: 3856924

I'm understanding why they cost so much now. These balancers were used in the 70's and 80's on the highest output 350 Block Corvettes and Camaros.
The correct cross reference for the above Volvo Balancer is GM Part Number: 12555879

These aren't very common at all and basically OEM only on GM's side, listing around $325-$350

Starting on the Red engine Volvo's in 2000, the 5.0 and 5.7 switched to the identical but slightly thinner 8" balancer (Volvo Part Number: 3862261) that was used on many GM/Chevy trucks and high performance cars in the 80's and 90's. Its far more common, with plenty of aftermarket options. Volvo's own part is $200, less than half the $400+ of the other balancer.