Suggestions for a longblock or build specs

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Looking to replace my 305 with a 350 or 383 in a '02 Chaparral 230ssi. I know about everything will swap over to the new block, and I will have to have the ECM flashed for whichever I choose. Just would like a recommendation on a vendor for a longblock. I was looking at a couple...

http://www.rapidomarine.com/default.aspx?p=/enginessbc.aspx

http://www.centerstateengine.com/~s...tured-marine-engine-96-up/107674/?catId=18205

http://www.titanengines.com/chevy-chevrolet-383-marine-stroker/ they also have a nicely priced 350...

I ave seen Bond-O and Tail gunner I think post some chevy crate motors....and I have to ask... don't I need a marine cam and gaskets???? I do use it in saltwater on occasion, though I rinse it every time.

Thanks for your help

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
I bought a brand new 5.7 vortec 4 bolt main engine with heads,oil pan and harmonic balancer installed for 2050.00 delivered. I boat in fresh water,and did not remove the heads to install a marine head gasket set. I don't know what head gaskets come from the factory. I did remove the steel freeze plugs and used brass ones. They cost about 14.00 and I used Indian head brand of sealer for these. Very happy. Dave-R.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,..... What's yer Budget,.... Horsepower co$t$ money,....... ;) :D

Sky's the limit, for an already built motor, a GM HT-383 almost tops My wish list,.....

Right under a local shop built HT 383,.....

Last edited:

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Price....well this is an unexpected motor change....2k would be nice, but I could push 3k for the 383....

I looked at the HT 383 since you posted a link on another forum....looks great, but a stiff $4500 price tag....

I don't know any local shops, but I plan on looking around a bit tomorrow.

I am in Central Florida, so the links I posted are shops in state at least. Titan and Center State are only 2 hr drive max....

Bondo, if you have a chance would you glance at their build specs and give me an opinion?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Check with your local shops. The last 383 I had built was about $2700

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I guess quality shops are few and far between down here. And the couple I found, are way expensive.

You guys have any thoughts on Blueprint engines? Looks like they have a model similar to the HT383 for about 3500 with tin....

Or should I order a rotating assembly, block, heads and put it all together myself? I am an aircraft mechanic, but haven't touched a recip since high school...

Halligan693

Recruit
I recently re-powered my VP 5.7L GSI with a brand new 5.7L Vortec Long Block from Michigan Motors and dressed it will most of the parts from the old motor. Purrs like a kitten...

aogmitch

Cadet
When I bought my boat a couple years ago, turned out the motor needed help. I ended up using Rapido due to good reviews, and no core needed. The 350 long block with flat top pistons was 1750 to my driveway. Not dealing with the core was a big plus for me. Still running great. Not sure what their 383 price is.
I was looking at US Engines originally, as they are local to me, but started coming across too many negative reviews. Started giving me cold feet, so looked elsewhere.

Last edited:

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Will be pulling and dropping...and swapping accessories....not sure about building...never built an entire engine. Don't have any measuring tools, ring compressors, and then I would need a manual for the specs....

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
I guess quality shops are few and far between down here. And the couple I found, are way expensive.

You guys have any thoughts on Blueprint engines? Looks like they have a model similar to the HT383 for about 3500 with tin....

Or should I order a rotating assembly, block, heads and put it all together myself? I am an aircraft mechanic, but haven't touched a recip since high school...

http://www.summitracing.com/compare

http://www.blueprintengines.com/index.php/gm-383-bp3830ct1

Last edited:

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Thanks for the suggestions....I had been looking at the blueprint 383....the link you posted for summit led to an empty cart, but I had looked at blueprint and ATK engines on their site as well.

Talked to Rapido Marine briefly this morning, he offered their 377 for $2800 plus shipping, which shouldn't be bad, we are only a few hours away.

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Well guys, I received my engine from Rapido yesterday.....and not very happy right now. We opened up the box to check it out, and it looked pretty good, until I twisted a push rod to check the lash, and noticed it was bent. Then proceeded to find 6 more bent as well. Does not exactly instill a lot of confidence in their workmanship. Waiting to hear back from Raul.....still wrapped in plastic and on the crate ready to ship.

Tail_Gunner

Admiral
Well guys, I received my engine from Rapido yesterday.....and not very happy right now. We opened up the box to check it out, and it looked pretty good, until I twisted a push rod to check the lash, and noticed it was bent. Then proceeded to find 6 more bent as well. Does not exactly instill a lot of confidence in their workmanship. Waiting to hear back from Raul.....still wrapped in plastic and on the crate ready to ship.

Here's a ata boy for taking some basic precaution's. It could have been far worse had you not taken some time.

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Talked to them and they were somewhat receptive. Told me which ones to buy or they could overnight them to me. I purchased new ones, only to figure out when I returned to the shop, that the rods from my old motor are the same....shoulda checked that first. While we decided not to pull the heads and check everything in there, we did double check the torque on every bolt, as well as clearance on the crank. Motor is built up, and ready to drop in.

I am still disappointed that they were not new pushrods....their website says "All rods, rockers, and lifters come fully installed. ALL INTERNAL PARTS ARE NEW"

callen369

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Motor in, drive on, just need to button it up today and then start it up. Did prime the oil, and squirt a lil bit into the cylinders before installing plugs. Fingers crossed.